Security Guide Writing Help Requiered

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here coz I'm really running in to a brick wall with this I'm trying to write a guide to help people secure there system but I'm having some real problems mostly with how IE, OE and WMP should be configured

Here are the 2 pages I have used to help me write what I have so far

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=14537
    http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

My only trouble is that I'm having a few problems following them especially the one on the lavasoft board as you will have no doubte noticed if you read everything that I have written

My other problem is that I don't have an instructions list for media player and how that should best be configured for maximum security

Any way here is what I have so far I was wondering if you all could look this over for me and help me out suggest any improvement anything iv missed also point me in the direction of the needed information so I can finish writing this and get it posted

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ewido includes xp-antispy as part of the suite.

3. Bethrezen

hi

i didnt know that ill be sure to add a note that users of Ewido dont need xp antispy

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Bethrezen

Good luck with your instructions. I'm sure a lot of people will help.

That is not easy.

Tips

More tips

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  5. Bethrezen

hi

thanks for the links looking now :D

6. Bethrezen

hi all

im suprised that i have so few responces to this request for help normaly it wouldnt matter but in this case it does coz im trying to do somthing that could be really worth while

i know there are alot of places around that cover stuff like this but i want to go one step further i want to compile all this infomation in one place and to be ad detailed as possable covering as much as possable and i want to do it in a easy to follow format so that even the none computer savie amoung us can take advantage of all of the wisdome of the security comunity the way i have

when i first got a computer i know almost nothing about them but over the years comming here and eles where reading and asking lots of questions and experimenting i have learned a grate deal and i want to do my part to give a little back

SO COME ON PEOPLE HELP ME OUT PLEASE !!!

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

8. Bethrezen

hi

Thanks for ya reply updating

9. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

The problem is that I can think of a zillion things to do to secure your computer. But I don't know which is really more critical.

10. Bethrezen

hi

well what im trying to do is to covers the fundimentals sure there is loads ya could do but not all of these things would be sutable for everyone for one resion or another so what im tryin to do is just covering the basics that apply to everyone these are things that every computer user on the net today should know and do in order to keep there comp safe

so neway with the above in mind try to thinks of anything that i may have not covered like critical vunribilities that allow attackers to do nasty things like deleat a persions whole hard drive

or read over what i have writen already and let me know if i have made any mistakes or missed anything

failing that give me links to sights that contain useful relevent infomation that i can link to in order to help educate people

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Two realy important ones that you have missed are:

Spyware Blaster (free) - Spyware prevention
    Spyware Guard (free) - Browser Hijack prevention

Both by Javacool here at Wilders Security.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am not sure but you might find something here you can use.

13. Bethrezen

hi

thanks for ya replies i'll have to try and work out a way to work in the additional suggestions but definitely useful

thanks

14. Bethrezen

Hey

What gives why have you disabled my ability to edit my post o_O?

What ever limit you have placed on editing posts I would appreciate it if you would remove it and restore my ability to edit this post because I have put a lot of time and effort in to writing this and I need to be able to edit it in order to update as new info becomes available to me the other thing is that there is a lot of html coding gone into this as well where I have pointed to various different places and there is far to much to remember so if I cant get in to edit all that's going to be lost

This isn't an unreasonable request I already email about this but have had no reply so now im posting in case my email wasn't received

come on people help me out here

please

15. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

everybody can edit his own topics. I did that too some time ago.

the reason why: maybe you made your "helpkit" just too good...

maybe you can only edit once or twice.

to add something more: some imaging software can help you out in some cases like powerquest/symantec or True Image.

the a2 anti trojan , a free one with an upcoming resident guard however this is not for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.