Security from XP to Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowman9, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman9

snowman9 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Just bought a new notebook running vista...

Have used XP from 2005 and have secured it, and delt with problems with the help of these forums.

Can anyone tell me the hot ticket ( free apps. combination ) to secure this
    machine?

I've read Stem's post(s) on advanced configuration of M$ firewall but I would prefer to see what's going in and out of my machine -- for me, it's easier to permit or deny stuff when setting rules, and I like the red and green bars that inform on traffic. Have d'loaded online armour free but haven't installed it yet.

Still on dial-up, will be sitting behind a router asap.

Running avast so far (would run avira, but no email scanning ability) and that's about it.

Cheers.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Change your main account to a standard user account and only have one admin account with a strong password.

if you didnt get infected on xp you will be fine with vista.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You may also want to take a look at this thread here (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=232857) to learn about software restriction policies.

Apply software restriction policies and using a standard user account and you have a great start for a secure system.

4. snowman9

snowman9 Registered Member

Thanks folks.

Shall do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.