Security Centre Problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jackostanis, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackostanis

jackostanis Registered Member

I am running Vista Home Premium and I am using Kaspersky Security Suite.
    Security centre is regularly telling me that either the firewall or anti-malware or sometimes both are turned off. However this is not the case.I have read that running "winmgmt /verifyrepository" and "winmgmt /salvagerepository"
    would fix this problem. Unfortunately when I try to run the "winmgmt" command (as administrator) I get a message saying 'winmgmt' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batchfile.

Can anyone shed some light on this please

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Should work.... did you run it from a command prompt (window)? You might make sure you didn't spell it wrong, else perhaps something has nuked the file, but if that were the case, I'd imagine you'd be getting all kinds of errors in your event logs...

3. jackostanis

Thanks,

Yes it was run from a command prompt as administrator. Spelling was correct

winmgmt /verifyrepository

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Go into Services and stop WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) browse to the repository folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem and delete it, then restart the WMI. The WMI rebuilds the repository folder.

5. jackostanis

Thanks,

I will try that.
    Will the winmgmt command work after the repository is rebuilt ?

6. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Just noticed you're vista. My fix was for XP. Sorry mate.

7. jackostanis

Thanks. That's not a problem.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I was having the same problem(I was getting those popup tellimg me I had no Firewall and no AV). My firewall:Comodo 3.0.25.378 I had to do a clean install after I had used the on board updater and had problems, my AV:Avira AntiVir Personal Premium after I renewed my subscription and put a fresh copy on my computer. I started with wbemtest, both the Firewall and the Avira checked out(one entry). I say the version numbers were wrong, I edited those. But I guess I missed something because it didnt work, I still had those red X on the task bar. I shut off monitoring of the firewall and the Avira AV that worked. Today I read this thread and deleted the repository and it worked, in Security Center the option for changing the way the Securty center alerts you is grayed out. Is that supposed to happen? I'm just glad it rid of those popup messages that I had no Firewall and no AV. I am on XP Home SP3.

9. jackostanis

I didn't have this problem with XP. So I am not sure . Just a thought but did you turn WMI back on again ?

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Yes, it regenerates the repository. I went to C:/windows/system32/wbem and checked in fact if the repository did regenerate...it did.
    [EDIT] My problem is back

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.