security buzz words & technology you buy into

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it funny how with todays technology AV companies seem to be reinventing themselves by creating fancy what I call buzz words like Symantecs pulse updates & sonar or threatsense(ESET) & proactive defense(kaspersky) or Cloud in the sky (f-secure) , what it really should all boil down to is 'just protect you' I guess my point is what ever happened to just an av & firewall? & yes I know things have gotten worse malware wise but why do we need these buzz words to make us feel more protected? and FWIW do things like cloud in the sky really work, as F-secure advertises suppose to protect you within a minute?, does anyone really believe that?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

every company in the world does it. it is just advertising. Regardless of the product you will see "buzz" words that are specifically designed to get your attention. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.:p

3. larryb52

but I mean some of the claims such as F-secure wants you to believe that a malware they discover across the world will make 'your' computer safe within 60 seconds?, I'm suppose to believe that?...

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

That all depends on your IQ I guess. some people believe everything they read and don't notice what is between the lines.

5. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

"PLACEBO"

6. larryb52

that's actually a very accurate buzz word for what you get! ;)

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It reminds me of those Geico commercials. Sense you could not understand us we hired a interpreter for you. Mr. T

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

"Buzzwords" cost money.:mad:

9. larryb52

exactly & don't keep you safer either

10. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I believe the word "FREE" (small or big) is the best marketing there could ever be. :thumb:

11. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

that's probably just market-speak...

that's definitely market-speak... eset likes to use threat as a prefix for things (like their threatblog)...

proactive defense is actually not a buzz-word, it's a legitimate way to describe a type of defense (a system that can defend against a threat even before the threat becomes known)... whether or not kaspersky delivers what the name suggests is another matter entirely...

i suppose technically a buzz-word but one with an advanced pedigree... 'in-the-cloud' and 'cloud computing' are well known and fairly old terms... and there are benefits to be had when a vendor adopts their offering to this sort of architecture... for one they reduce the amount of time to role out updates, but they also reduce the chance that suspect samples won't get reported and the time it takes to get them reported...

that sounds suspiciously like saying 'it should just work'... unfortunately true protection can never 'just work', it needs an informed decision-maker who can use the security tools in a competent way...

are you perhaps wondering what happened to the good old days when you could just run something and be protected? not only would that be a false sense of security now, it was back then as well... install-and-forget security is snake-oil, always has been and always will be...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.