Security apps say all is ok but...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by fannymites, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

The past five times I have started Windows, I've had this alert from Spybot TeaTimer -
    Category: Browser Page
    Change: Value Deleted/Added (this changes each time)
    Entry: First Home Page
    Old Data: http:\\www.microsoft.com\isapi\redir.dll?prd= (This is as much info as the alert shows and I can't find anything more within Spybot itself).
    New Data: (Greyed Out)

I denied the change each time and when I start IE (which I never use) it has the normal start page of my isp and Firefox still has it's normal start page. Neither of these are anything Microsoft related.

I have tried the following -
    Ran Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido, Avast and F-Prot from Dos - Not a single thing found.
    Ran Bit-Defender and Trend Micro Online Scans - Nothing found.
    Ran Rootkit Revealer - No discrepancies found.
    Inspected Startup Control Panel and a program from SysInternals called Autoruns - Could not find anything out of the ordinary.
    Inspected all running tasks with Process Explorer - Nothing out of the ordinary.
    I have created a logged rule to block everything from internet access in Kerio2
    and nothing is trying to connect.

My computer seems to completely clean and in perfect working order but this Spybot alert still pops-up.

I'm not sure if any other info would be useful other than I'm on Win XP.

Any threads I've started before have ended up being moved to another forum section so I'm sorry if I've got it wrong again.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Reboot and try running some of your security apps in safemode. Uninstall reinstall Spybot. These are all guesses by the way.

3. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Hi there

I have seen this happen a few times before when setting up a new broadband account for people, particularly with AOL. It seems to have been an attempt by the ISP software to change your default browser settings to their own preferred one, with AOL it was an attempt to install the AOL new homepage and searchbar.

HDRiderUK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.