Security Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chaos, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Hi,
    I have the following security products
    KAV 6.0(Realtime)
    Outpost pro 4.0(All modules enabled)
    nvidia firewall with antihacking enabled
    Ewido 4.0(paid,Shield enabled)
    SpySweeper 5.0(paid,On demand only)
    XP-antispy (profile:Suggested)

In my pc I have some information that are valuable so security is a top priority for me.
    I cannot remove them since I am a trader and I need these information.
    Do you think that I need to buy any other AntiMalware programs to complement my already existing setup?
    If yes which would these programs be?

thank you for your answers in advance.

P.S
    I am thinking to change KAV 6.0 with Online Armor + AV.
    Would this be a better security combination than KAV 6.0 + KAV's pdm?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

One possibility I can think of might be ProSecurity.
    2 cts. etc :)

Gerard

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Your setup looks good to me.

You may want to upgrade Ewido 4.0 to AVG Antispyware 7.5.
    It's a free migration for licensed users and AVG Antispyware is actualy the new Ewido.

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

You're security setup certainly seems comprehensive enough.
    You might consider encryption software to password protect any sensitive/proprietary files, in the event that (theft, or whatever) someone gains access to your HD.
    Axcrypt (free) is an excellent program.
    Others can be found here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3919&highlight=axcrypt

5. Stro

Stro Registered Member

What about software to backup your files and image your partition(s)?

If your PC is seriously infected by a virus, stolen or destroyed (house fire, for example), you will certainly need some way to restore your data.

I use the Windows XP built-in backup program ntbackup. But more frequently, I image my two partitions - C: containing my operating system & application software, and D: containing all data files.

I use terabyteunlimited.com products to make images (BootIt & Image for Windows). It has saved me many times (when installation of new software goes wrong and my desktop icons no longer appear, for example, which happened just last week).

6. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Chaos

I have similar ' layered' security but with different products and you look pretty secure to me.

I've invested time in looking at some HIPS products and use Process Guard and System Safety Monitor. Fine apps but do take an investment of time to learn and yes I'm still learning! Might not be to your taste but I do feel in control of my system to a degree.

A lot depends on your concerns, so if your worried about stealing of bank details for example by keyloggers then sometimg like Snoop Free is very good. It does exactly what it says, nothing more, it warns you of keyboard hooks. Very light on resources but one word of caution, it works fine on my desktop but there was a conflict on my laptop with something else.

I don't know much about rootkits other than they are out there, so I have a couple of anti-rootkits I use occasionally, the most user friendly being Sophos Anti-Rootkit.

There are a huge number of extra security apps you could have but all in all, it depends what you're comfortable with and what goes well together on your PC - weird but they all seem to differ somewhat in that regard.

Hope that helps and good luck with whatever you choose to add.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  7. chaos

chaos Registered Member

I will trial the application.
    You are right ,I forgot to upgrade to the new “ewido” version.
    I will donwload it now.

This is an excellent idea.
    I will trial the programs you suggested.

For backup I also use the built-in windows software.
    I will take a look at the software you suggest in case of a HardDisk failure.

I had trialled ProcessGuard(not SSM) for a period of time but I had some system conflicts,so when kaspersky added the Proactive Defense Module I just went their way.
    Keyloggers are what concerns me mostly.Stealing passwords for online banking details or for trading accounts etc.I will download the program you suggested.
    As for rootkits I forgot to mention that occasionally I scan the system with the latest version of BlackLight from F-secure.
    Thanks everyone a lot for his suggestions and help.

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Chaos

You might want to look at this thread as SnoopFree may be redundant if going down the Online Armor route.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=148339&highlight=snoopfree

I always find it useful to read as many threads as I can on any product just so as I get a rounded picture rather than rely on one opinion. I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure there other members here who aren't so my advice is read as many threads as you can.

Just going back to Online Armor, I'm sure I recall it was supposed to have features specifically related to on-line banking so you might want to investigate that more fully.

9. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Microsoft backup? really?
    Personally I would recomend Genie Backup. It can Handle huge encrypted backups... The biggest I did so far was 48Gig. + you can do them online (for xtra monthly fees) but it works... or on your own remote FTP site... think Fire, water damage or other disaster...
    It also has plugins and a neet game backup.
    http://www.genie-soft.com/?linkid=1&SrcID=4

10. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I rarely see Virtual machines mentioned here for increased security purposes.
    You load a clean (Read Fresh) OS. You securise it. Then you harden it as best you can or know how. Then create a snapshot of it. Use the snaphot to do watever.

Think of using a virtual machine to do all the miscellaneous web browsing and software trials... Why because it works... you get infected? Yea baby bring it on... you just revert to the last "snapshot" and voila in 5.2 minutes yer back online clean and smilling... Not enough? You can even have 10 snaphots with different firewalls, antivirus or watever pleases you to stay safe!

And guess what? It's "FREE"....
    http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

If you want to create your own virtual machines instead of using someone elses... Use VMware Workstation instead of the Free player.
    http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/

Try it people... You wont regret it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.