Securing my system

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by abhi_mittal, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

2. burger

burger Guest

Indeed. some of the "free" solutions are not meant for commercial use.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My personal recommendation would be as follows:
    • One of the AV's rated Advanced+ by av-comparatives.org. These are currently Kaspersky AV, NOD32, McAfee, Symantec, or Bitdefender. My personal preference is KAV or NOD32, but I have Symantec on my work laptop and it works fine.
    • Registry protection afforded by either a dedicated application (RegDefend) or one of the multipurpose "proactive protection" applications (Online Armor, SafenSec, etc.).
    • Control of execution and/or installation of new applications using either native OS group policies/limited accounts or a dedicated application (Online Armor, SafenSec, etc. again). Options here depend on support levels needed and what this PC will connect to and connection/operating details.
    • Personal firewall - choose one of the major ones (ZA, Outpost, Symantec, McAfee, LooknStop, etc.).
    Some of these options may not work well together, so assemble in a stepwise fashion and make sure all is well before adding the next level. As an example, my own work laptop uses Symantec Corporate AV/firewall with tightly defined group policies that lock down XP and allow installations only to selected open areas on the drive and do not touch the registry.

Blue

4. abhi_mittal

Does nyone has the link for mcafee8.0i, which is free for home users?
    I had downloadded it from mcafee site, but it was a 90 day trial...maybe i downloaded the wrong stuff....Please gimme the link....

5. abhi_mittal

Waiting....

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

For someone who wants it all free, you don't have a lot of patience. ;)

You may have to wait forever, McAfee 8.0i is not free, unless you know someone, or for example your company uses McAfee enterprise, mine does for example, but since i don't use it, i have not requested it from my admin. :)

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

McAfee 8.0i is NOT free for Home users.

Only free if your Company or College/School has a site license.

8. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Yes, It's true. McAfee Enterprise product series aren't free or freeware.
    There isn't any clear definition about using in home.
    You can't buy it for your home, but you can use it :)
    It seems to be only one way to use it if your company or college/school have site licence.

9. nicM

nicM nico-nico

in your case, I'd rather use Process Guard full than Wormguard, since Avast pro comes with a script checker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.