Securing MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crockett, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi everyone... :)

A friend of mine is using MSN Messenger on her computer.

Seems nice, but I don't know what the key security issues are or might be.

Would it work despite standing behind a firewall ? If yes, does it need to be a rule-based firewall so as to create specific Messenger rules? Does it need to be given any server rights ?

IE needed on the machine, or could it work despite IExplorer having been IEradicated ?

Any alternative to MSN Messenger worth mentioning ?

Sorry to be so ignorant about a soft' I guess almost anyone on the Web has already used or come across...Thanks for any comment or suggestion... :D

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

2. crockett

Oops ! :)

Just noticed I switched from 'Full' to 'Senior Member'...

May sound weird, but... don't know why I'm suddenly feeling MORE tired than I was a couple of minutes ago :D

Hope getting wiser won't take too long :D

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Crockett,

Congratz. Another star is born. :D

The altenative I use: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

Regards,

Pieter

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I use ICQ and have never had any problems with it... I've heard some argument that it's not so secure but I use a slightly older version and have never had any problem whatsoever after using for several years. At least it doesn't try to access the internet unless I start it up (unlike MSN messenger when I tried it).

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Ho crocket, I use MSN messenger . I did also use Trillian but with the new MSN 6 i favour that for now . I find it it excellent as it allows me to keep in touch with my son , who resides a distance from me . Also the occassional freind scattered around the planet . I also use Firebird , so there are no problems there .

My firewall is EZ Firewal ( similar to zonealarm4)l and I have mobile code and cookie controll and add blocking set to medium and find that I can access MSN messenger and sign in with no problems .

I dont allow MSN Messenger to automatically sign in when ever I start up my pc ( its set to by default ) > Tools > options > General .

You can set it so that any file transfers are automatically checked by your virus scanner .
    Crocket I think possibly the major danger is in file transfer. Especially if she has children , as they always send bits n peices to each other . So one can set up there file transfers to be scanned by there anti virus . ( thats a must ) > Tools > options > Messages
    I always scan it a second time before opening it .

I havent had any issues with it . Nor has it conflicted with Spyblot search n destroy / adaware ./ TDS3 etc./ e Trust anti virus
    If your freind wants to visit any chat rooms then They may find IE easier than firebird ( for some reason I cannot access a chatroom with Firebird ).
    I dont feel insecure with using MSN messenger .

6. crockett

Hi guys :)

Thanks for the replies.

Still not sure what I'm gonna decide... Probably going to do some testing in the next few days before making up my mind.

Of course (just to make sure I do understant the general principles), using one tool (e.g. MSN Messenger) doesn't mean one can't contact other instant messaging users running under other software (e.g. Trillian), right ?!

Or do these tools completely exclude one another ?

Also, using MSN Messenger seems to require Internet Explorer to be present on one's system. How about Trillian ?

7. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Crocket,

I use Trillian Pro and MSN Messenger. Having MSN Messenger does not preclude you from using other networks such as ICQ or AIM but they cannot be accessed using that program, you would need to load another program for that which would mean that you have to run multiple messenger apps.

This is the advantage to Trillian. It does not have its own network but can access through one app MSN, AIM, Yahoo Instant Messenger, Jabber, ICQ and IRC. Many of these conversations can be set to be secured through Trillian but it may have to have trillian on both sides for this to happen.

One disadvantage to Trillian versus MSN Messenger is that Trillian does not have the Voice or Video chat that MSN Messenger currently supports.

Regarding firewalls, I have an SMC Barricade router/firewall which required no modification and as a personal firewall I use Tiny 5.1 which required minimal modification. My girlfriend uses LnS and it needed some modifications in order to support the voice and video chat.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.