Secureable - Virtualization question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's a tool from GRC I'm sure many are familiar with... I mentioned it in here not long ago. Here is a screeny of my CPU I got with this Dell Inspiron 530 I recently got. When I tested it at a friends house I'm sure it just said "Yes" for the virtualization part. But now it says "Locked On". I can't think of what I could have done to do that. I didn't change any settings in the bios. I did password protect the bios settings though. And I'm running VirtualBox now. Could either of those 2 things have done it?

Here's the screeny:

Attached Files:

2. luciddream

Kinda surprised there's no responses to this. Hasn't anyone else ever seen their virtualization status as "Locked On"?... or just the "Yes" like normal?

Again, the only thing I can think that would've done it is adding a Bios password. Just looking for some reassurance here...

My new/old box/VM is up & running GREAT! I didn't think XP could possibly get any faster than it was on my old box, but it is indeed, here on this one even with .NET FW 2.0 SP2 & EMET 3.0.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I think this is related to the BIOS password.

Remove the BIOS password and see what happens! ;)

4. luciddream

Hey now... that's just too logical a solution ; )

I was looking for a long winded explanation confirming my theory instead.

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

That experience can confirm your theory as well. Did you try it? What were the results? I'm curious now, lol.

6. luciddream

Sorry... it was a long time ago you posted this, but I just now noticed it.

I removed my Bios PW, but it still showed up as "Locked On". If I disable hardware virtualization altogether in the Bios then it simply shows as "Off". So not sure how to get it to simply show as "On". It's either locked or off altogether.

Not sure why. Maybe one of the thousand or so hardening tweaks I've made is responsible? I'm hardly ready to undo each one, one by one, and check if it's changed. That would be a monumental undertaking.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You could try a fresh install just to test. Or maybe run it in BartPE/WinPE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.