Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cmar, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmar

cmar Registered Member

I recently upgraded to True Image Home 10 from 9. Before creating a Secure Zone with v. 10, I noticed that on my HD was a hidden 39 MB FAT partition, which I may have created with version 9.

Before I create what is possibly a second Secure Zone on the HD, is there a way to check if I already have one Secure Zone there?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If you use the "Manage Secure Zone" feature it should tell you whether one exists or not.

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

In another thread you mentioned an external HD for image files storage.
    What's your reason for wanting a Secure Zone?

4. cmar

cmar Registered Member

To be able to boot into True Image if Windows XP no longer works.
    I can't create a bootable media so I have to have some way to recover. What's the point of having a backup image if there is no way to recover.
    Have you been able to find any instructions on creating a bootable version of True Image to use with the backup image? I haven't.
    Best, CMA

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  5. cmar

cmar Registered Member

The "Manage Secure Zone" tool just offers to create an additional Secure Zone on the same HD.

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If it's there, the ASZ will show up as such in Disk Management.

7. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Disk Management just gives me the option of cloning a HD or adding a new disk, neither of which I want to do.

However, when I made a backup, I did see a 39.9 FAT partition, which I suspect, but don't know was made with True Image 9.

Is there a way to check it using Recovery?

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The 39MB partition is probably a set of utilities provided by your computer supplier. TI will not create a FAT partition. A secure zone is a FAT32 partition which would be visible in disk management and the manage secure zone wizard.

Xpilot.

9. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

It's right there on the left side of the window that has the rest of TI's features like Backup, Recovery, Cloning etc.

10. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Thanks to Ralphie and Xpilot for the replies. I found "Hard Disk Managment" but it is for cloning or copying a disk.
    However, I did find the Manage Secure Zone Wizard. In the latter, when I click on the HD, it then shows two partitions: a 221.6 GB NTFS primary; and a 39.2 MB Primary FAT16 with 33.3 MB free. Since that partition does appear in the Manage Secure Zone Wizard, I guess the latter is the Secure Zone created by TI 9.0.

Now I have to figure out how to use that Secure Zone to reboot into Win XP with TI. That is the missing piece of the puzzle. It's easy to create a backup with TI 10, but how do you do a recovery if Windows is gone?

11. TheWeaz

"Disk Management just gives me the option of cloning a HD or adding a new disk, neither of which I want to do."
    Windows Disk Managment (Admin Tools, Computer Management); nothing to do with TI.

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

What's your reason for wanting a Secure Zone?
    The Secure Zone and the Startup Recovery Manager will not help you when your main drive fails. On the other hand, creating the SZ on the external HD and activating SRM will lead to problems if you boot into Windows with the external disconnected. Therefore, you must have the Rescue CD, whatever it takes to create it.

13. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Exactly right! Secure zone is very dangerous. Unfortunately I created it and don't know how to delete it. I know that I must have a bootable rescue CD but have no way of creating one, since I get an error message when I try to create it.

14. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Very well then.

Do you see the SZ in Disk Management as TheWeaz suggested above? What options do you get if you right-click on it? Is there an option to delete it? (don't do that as yet)

The whole path to Disk Management is: Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

You'd better write down that sequence, it seems you will be needing it for some time.

15. cmar

cmar Registered Member

I thought everyone was referring to TI 10's Disk Management. In XP's Disk Management, the partition appears as FAT32, 39 MB, only 7 MB is used. Right-click doesn't give Delete as an option.
    Apparently, if it were a SZ, it would appear designated that way in TI 10?

16. TheWeaz

“In XP's Disk Management, the partition appears as FAT32, 39 MB, only 7 MB is used”

I can’t recall exactly, but I’m sure the ASZ in Disk Management is clearly marked as belonging to Acronis.

17. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Seems to me too. Can anyone with a SZ created confirm that?

18. aarond38

aarond38 Registered Member

Please see attached which will show how the Acronis Secure Zone is listed. My ASZ is on my secondary (spare) internal HD. Hope this is helpful.

Attached Files:

19. TheWeaz

That's what I remember.
    No question as to whether or not there's a secure zone there.

20. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Thanks to Weaz, Aarond, and BVolk for useful posts.
    CMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.