Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by phasechange, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi!

I am going to dedicate a new 320Gb hard disk to backups. I was going to make it solely or mainly an ASZ but I think I may have problems doing what I need to do with it....

If I create

1. a chain of incremental backups of my boot disc
    2. incremental backup of my data disk
    3. File backup of data on a network drive (also incremental)

... all on the ASZ. What happens when the disk fills? Can I manually delete say the Type 1 Backups? Do all backup types get replaced?

In addition (and less importantly) can I keep a number of particular full image backup in the ASZ even when the time comes to delete other data? I love the idea of protecting my backups from viruses as if offline but fear that the lost flexibility may be inconvenient.

Fairy

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Good though as it is,IMHO, the ASZ does not have the flexibility to do what you require. No manual management of images is possible it is strictly FIFO. I have never tried mixing in different kinds of images. could get you in a real muddle :)

Xpilot

3. dld

dld Registered Member

Also creating a SZ on an external drive is not recommended by Acronis. See FAQ here.

4. phasechange

It's an internal hard disk. I thought that an internal disk with a securezone would give me similar protection (almost) to an external but with internal speed. Perhaps I should think about buying a SATA Enclosure and running it as eSATA.

I think this securezone concept if say made more like a full file system but not mounted could be really cool.

Is it protected in some way to stop malware from hiding in it?

Thanks,
    Fairy

5. srdiamond

srdiamond Registered Member

It isn't accessible to other software, which |'d assume includes malware.

Also, while Acronis recommends against using an external drive for the Secure Zone, the recommendation applies only to the extent that the user might actually detach the external drive. I think Acronis is making a mistake stating its heading this recommendation a statement of such general scope. It doesn't make too much sense to 1) recommend the Secure Zone's use; and 2) recommend that it be deployed in a fashion unavailable to most users (in the case of a second internal drive); or which involves a compromise generally inferior to using an external drive (putting on the user's single internal drive).

6. phasechange

My actual disk setup is :

a. 150Gb Raptor -System Disk
    b. 160Gb Maxtor -Data Disk

c. + 300Gb Maxtor network drive hosted on Windows 2003 server.
    d. + 320Gb WD SE16- Backup Disk (with courier)
    e. 120Gb USB disk (I may use this for images of my boot drive for roll back purposes)

The plan is to backup all of A and B (these drives are not full) plus C onto D. I am now considering getting an eSATA external housing for D so as to give me full flexibility and not to need a securezone to back things up.

A is being backed up to do system restore type work, and to allow me to use early images if my PC gets messy with junk.

B is being backed up as it has photographs and licence details on it.

C is being backed up as it has my entire CD collection ripped losslessly on it (118Gb of data).

Fairy

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just to add that there is no problem creating a Secure Zone (SZ) on an external drive and then disconnecting it provided you do not also activate the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM). Activating the SRM modifies the Master Boot Record, which will prevent your system from booting up if it fails to find the SZ because the external has been disconnected/switched off.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.