Secure Zone (SZ)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by drwaltrx, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drwaltrx

drwaltrx Registered Member

Just installed TI7 & ready to do 1st image. User Guide p 13 parag. 8 completely confuses me. Acronis told me to place SZ on C. Why would I want to install SZ on the same primary drive as all my data etc when p 13 says dont keep image on same disk - - - burn images on removable media.? My Ext. HD E (destination) only is used for backup storage. Why would I need a SZ on E ? Does using SZ make restoring easier or better quarantee I'll recover from a disaster ? Again p13 parag. 8 "local sec. backup for restoring damaged files" - - - can I do this without having to backup this local sec. backup ?
    Thanks very much for your consideration, time & help.

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Just forget the paragraphs and pages stuff!;)

About the Secure Zone:

Acronis Secure Zone is a special, hidden system partition for storing disk and partition images. Ordinary applications can't access it, for image security purposes.
    If you create a zone, it will be listed after all PC disks available for image creation and restoration.

For those security reasons it is better to create a SZ on your E-HD, even when you only using the HD for backup-purposes.

Ciao,

Smokey

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Actually, Acronis Secure Zone is indeed a hidden partition, so it cannot be accessed by usual means and it's purpose is to store the backups. This feature was implemented for those users, that don't have any external drive for backing their system up, or those, who has no ability to boot from the Acronis bootable rescue media.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

4. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

BETTER YET, do NOT create a SZ on your E-HD, just put your Ti image there as a file. my SZ "corrupted" on my hdd2 (thank goodness it was not on c\hdd1) and I had to low level reformat the entire hdd2. if you don't need SZ, don't use it IMO. but on the brighter side, I did restore a Ti image of c\ and it did work AOK before the SZ problems on my box.

5. Cha?

Cha? Guest

Indeed, there's no easy way to access the Secure Zone (hidden Fat32). That should be useful though, especially for copying the SZ image to a file image on an another drive (HDD or CD/DVD-R(W) ) and backward without numerous backing up/(re)imaging...

6. ricka47

ricka47 Registered Member

But, when I delete the SZ, then the Startup Recovery Manager doesn't work. Do these two have to go together?

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ricka47

The Startup Recovery Manager there because if your system become unbootable.

If OS Unbootable You Press F11.

Then when you press F11, starts the Startup Recovery Manager which will search for the Secure Zone.

So Deleted Secure Zone=Deleted Startup Recovery Manager.

But you can have a Secure Zone with out the Startup Recovery Manager.

Hope this is of some help,
    Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.