Secure Zone on NAS?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nettech_gt, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nettech_gt

nettech_gt Registered Member

I'm thinking of getting a NAS (network attached storage), so I can back up all my computers on my home network to one HD. Is there a way to set up a secure zone on a NAS and have all my computers in my network back up to it? If this is not possible, is there a way it can set scheduled backups to the NAS for all the computers on the network and when the disk is full it will start overwriting old images (like a secure zone does) THANX!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nettech_gt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis Secure Zone can be created on the internal hard drive only.

Please also note that if you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server or Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation you can use Acronis Backup Server to store the image archives. You will be able to automatically managed storage area for backups with help of Acronis Backup Server. An administrator can set the overall limitations to size/storage time, i.e. quotas and time limits. Additional information about Acronis Backup Server can be found in Chapter 3.5 "Acronis Backup Server" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Aleksandr,

Did you mean that in nettech_gt's case he can only create a Secure Zone (SZ) on his internal drive rather than his NAS?

I feel some newbie users could interpret your statement too literally and think that they can't produce a SZ on any externally connected hard drive. This, as we know, is not the case as you can in fact create the SZ on USB or Firewire connected drives. You can even activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and use TI's F11 (boot into rescue mode) feature (not that I would recommend it!!), provided the external drive is plugged in and switched on whenever the system is booted up.

Regards

4. nettech_gt

nettech_gt Registered Member

Ok I have done some more reading in the forums and have determined that using ASZ is not likely the best way to go for me. However I still NEED the ability for TI to continue creating images even when the HD is full. (overwrite old images, like ASZ does) Is there a way for me to do this, with out using ASZ? Also can some one share their experiences with NAS specifically with TI. I'm looking into Synology DS-101j and Simple Tech Simpleshare, both have good reviews however which NAS works with TI? THANX!

5. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you are right. I should better say that using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home one can create Acronis Secure Zone on the local hard drive only (disk drive directly attached to the computer). And this means that one can create Acronis Secure Zone on external hard drive, however, as you mentioned, we do not recommend this. If one creates Acronis Secure Zone on a detachable drive, then activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and disconnect this detachable drive, the machine may boots with a long delay or does not boot at all.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. Acronis Support

Hello nettech_gt,

Please note that I would recommend you to organized scheduled tasks the following way:

Task #1:

- Create full backup of the entire hard drive or several partitions for example to run on Monday with weekly execution;

Task #2:

- Create incremental/differential backup of the same hard drive/partitions with daily execution (starting from Thursday);

In this case in the end of the week you will have one full backup archive and six (6) incremental/differential backups. On the next Monday the full backup will be overwritten with the new full backup. Then all the incremental/differential backups will be overwritten. So, in the end of week two you will have new set of backup archives (full backup and six incremental/differential backups) instead of the previous backups. In you have enough space to store backups you can for example re-create full backup not every week but every two (three, four etc.) weeks or set monthly execution for full backup. The same applies to the incremental/differential backups, you can change their execution the way that suits your needs.

You can create such scheduled tasks for every computer you would like to back up.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.