Secure Zone.. Need to clear.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kbarnsda, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbarnsda

kbarnsda Registered Member

Windows XP Prof.
    Acronis True Image Home 9.0
    -------------------------
    Is it possible to "clear" the partition of files Acronis creates without clearing the actual partition?
    ie..I want to delete *.* the files and start over with a clean 50GIG partition to do a Clean backup and use differential backups.

Reason:
    I have gotten all my programs loaded, the sytem is stable, all email migrated etc etc and I now want to start with the partition clean and a "master" backup. I had lots of backups while I was loading in case something took a dump.

I RTFM but somehow missed it.
    I am an old GHOST user and having to rethink how I used to do things.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The way to clear the secure zone is in fact to remove it using the manage secure zone wizard and then recreate it using the same method. The whole operation only takes a few minutes.
    Do you have your secure Zone on the same HDD that you are protecting with True Image? If so you are not covered from a total HDD breakdown.
    I am a user of the secure zone but I have it on a slave drive in my computer. I presume you will take new full HDD backups from time to time giving you a more upto date "master". Otherwise to go on adding differentials ad-infinitum would become unwieldy.

Xpilot

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kbarnsda,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

In addition to what Xpilot has said, I would also like to mention that, as it is pointed out in section 3.3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide, the backups saved to Acronis Secure Zone are deleted automatically if required. Acronis True Image uses the following scheme to clean up Acronis Secure Zone:

- If there is not enough free space in the zone to create a backup, then Acronis True Image deletes the oldest full backup with all subsequent incremental/differential backups;

- If there is only one full backup (with subsequent incremental/differential backups) left and a full backup is in progress, then the old full backup and incremental/differential backups are deleted;

- Otherwise, (only one full backup left, and an incremental/differential backup is in progress) you will get a message about space error. In that case you will have to either re-create the full backup or increase the Acronis Secure Zone.

You can always check how much free space is left in the zone on the second page of the Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  4. kbarnsda

kbarnsda Registered Member

Thank you for information.
    This is what I wanted to do. I did read the manual like Support referenced but I wanted to take a more active role in managing the backups.

I have a 170G Hdd and a 70 USB2 drive. I partitioned the XP drive as a 100G drive and left a 70 for "quick" incremental backups. As you suggested, I do have the external for my Archive Master when I get one.

I saw a 400G USB2 HDD in Sams this weekend for a little over 100 bucks. The price on these things keeps going down. I may get one.

As a old "Ghost" user..( I actually used ghost when it was from New Zeland ), this is a much easier program to use.
    Cheers! KB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.