Secure Tunneling

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Brian Glazer - helpin, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helpin needs some thoughts.

Have any of you used "secure tunneling"??

This is where your web activities, including email, is tunneled to an anonymizer service and is completely encrypted even to your isp the second it leaves your computer.

Here is a graph that beautifully shows exactly how this works.

http://www.onlineprivacystore.com/products/secure_tunneling/infograph.html

It is rather expensive. But my question is a forget the cost question. Do you think it is a valuable service to achieve the kind of web and email security that you receive?

Has anybody used any of these tunneling services and would be willing to share your experience?
    Thanks,
    brian

2. snowman

snowman Guest

Brian

may I respectfully suggest that before you make any financial outlay that you further research tunneling.
    Tunneling.....as I understand it...is somewhat differant than what you are mentioning. of course I willingly remain open to correction here.......
    no...I have never used tunneling..as I understand tunneling....however, I did have information about it an lost that after my last reformat......the tunneling as you mention...is that the same as using an anom proxy ??
    my questions are that of being interested...so please share if you care to do so....would appreciate...thanks

snowman

3. Brian Glazer

Brian Glazer Guest

Snowman, hi there. No, it's not just an anonymous proxy or an anon surfing service, at least not in any kind of basic form. It requires the use of SSH client software on your computer and is also known as Port Forwarding. The Anonymizer offers their basic anonymous surfing package and they also offer a premium surfing service with URL encryption but they also offer something that goes far beyond that. That's the "Anonymizer Secure Tunneling Maximum Security" package. You have to use something like F-Secure or Tera Term Pro on your computer that creates not just a scrambled url, but true ssh tunneling directly to the Anonymizer servers. This is for not only web surfing, but email, ftp, newsgroups. It's a reasonable price actually as I have seen the same services go for 400.00 a year. Here's a couple of links http://www.anonymizer.com/services/ssh2.shtml
    and an faq on secure tunneling http://www.anonymizer.com/docs/faqs/sshfaq.shtml Here is the graph again that compares anonymous surfing through a proxy with tunneling http://www.anonymizer.com/services/fsecure/infograph.html

The end result is a secure "tunnel" that makes your surfing habits, email, ftp, newsgroups invisible to your ISP and even to those with sophisticated technology.

I am very curious as to how it affects surfing speeds and would love to hear from someone who has used it. I hear it's the most secure option available since the closing of the OLD Zero Knowledge with the anonymous nyms. That's it in a nutshell. Thanks for writing snowman.
    brian

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Brian

ok..thats what I first thought you were talking about...yes I am awear of the service...have never used it...perhaps some else who is more informed on that particular service can offer you a more informative opinion.
    if you give it a try perhaps you could later advise what you think of it.....

best regards

snowman

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I use JAP frequently, but I also have an account with IDSecure (IDZap). There are performance penalties, mainly load related - some times of the day are better than others. I agree - the less your ISP (and via them to whichever government thinks you're its slave) knows the better.

Anonymity is NOT a crime.
    Privacy is a right, not a privelege.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.