Secure, Reliable web browser

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by NotRight, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Comodo Icedragon is a Browser not a proxy or Tor.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I still haven't understood whether the topic is about browser security against internet exploits or browser privacy:
    It seems to me that privacy is the only criterion asked by the OP. I honestly think that no browser can be secure enough in terms of privacy. Some kind of anonymity can be achieved with Tor:
    https://www.torproject.org/

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

If the OP is looking for total anonymity and freedom from exploits- perhaps in another lifetime.

The best you can do is augment the browser with applications designed and proven in real world use to limit the potential danger and stay away from the known hives of malware/illegal downloads.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If you're going to rule out everything that is similar to Chrome, FireFox, or IE, you won't have much to choose from. There aren't many core engines for browsers, and none of them are perfect. Decide which of the core engines is most acceptable to you and pick a browser based on it. For myself, I won't use anything connected to Google or Comodo. Although I don't care for FireFox and the direction it's going, my issues are not related to it's gecko core. For me, another gecko based browser, SeaMonkey is a good choice. Palemoon would be a 2nd choice. Many of the FireFox extensions work with both of them.

No matter what browser you choose, it is the most targeted part of your attack surface, either directly or via plugins/integration with other apps. Recognize that it is vulnerable and treat it as such. If you're willing to take the time to learn it, a freestanding filtering app like Proxomitron is one of the best defenses that exist for your browser.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If i may ask please.
    I would be very interested to know why you will not use anything connected to comodo....:)

Thanks.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Comodo's actions over the years have me doubting their integrity as a company. Incidents ranging from bad SSL certificates, accusations of stealing detections from other companies and reverse engineering their products, the entire fiasco with BoClean and Kevin, selling customers data, etc. IMO, their loyalty to and concern for their customers starts and ends at their bottom line. I don't consider the company trustworthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.