Secure Folders to protect folders (and use as anti-executable)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Windows_Security, Oct 21, 2014.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Guess it won't work to make the whole drive read-only if I'm also using it for File History.
    Will have to choose between switching this off or just protecting the Macrium and Bvckup folders?

2. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I'm also wondering why he has never turned up here. Is anybody still in touch with him?

3. Secure folders can be set per folder, I only allow Syncback to my documents backup folder

upload_2015-12-23_13-19-56.png

4. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

As Secure Folders does not seem to be supported any more, I've been trying to find alternative apps which are fully compatible with Windows 10 (free or paid). There are alternatives, but they are not as feature-rich as Secure Folders. Does anybody know how to contact the developer of Secure Folders? If not, does anybody know any good alternatives that are similar to Secure Folders?

5. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

The ones that I have tried for W7 are also falling short of SF...

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have been using Hide Folders for years, handy to lock and hide important data:

http://fspro.net/hide-folders/

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I only found Secure Folders since transitioning to Windows 8 directly from XP (skipped 7).

For my uses SF On-Demand is a tremendous security boost for those times of uncertainty.

8. marzametal

Cheers for this... can you confirm something for me please?
    One of the bullet points is as follows... "Hide Folders prevent locking system folders for stability reasons."

Does this include Temp directories that have been relocated from original locations via Environment Variables? For example; I have D:\Temp\Local, D:\Temp\System and D:\Temp\Temporary Internet Files... looks like it is missing the "no execution" selection that Secure Folders offers, as did the other 3 I tried.

9. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

And what about trusted apps? Secure Folders offers the possibility to add Trusted Apps to a white list. Apps being included in this white list can access certain files and folders, whereas all other apps cannot access them. Does Hide Folders offer such a white list?

10. itman

itman Registered Member

11. paulderdash

Haven't used it but it has 'Trusted processes support - processes which are permitted to access the protected data.'

12. marzametal

For the time being, had to resort to SpyShelters File Protection List and AppGuards User Space.
    I keep on getting a 500 Internal Server error when trying to download this program... sent the bloke an email, waiting for reply.

13. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Still looking for some more screenshots to find out what features Hide Folders offers.

I also got this error message when I clicked some links on his Website. Anyway, for the time being, Secure Folders seems to best program for me; it offers all the features that I need - no bloat and it (still) works. What a pity this app is no longer supported by its developer.

14. paulderdash

Yes, pity. The alternatives above look good, but both $40.

15. Rasheed187

It offers the same as Secure Folders, except for the anti-exe feature, but if you're already using a separate anti-exe tool you don't need this feature, unless I'm missing something. It's also a lifetime license, but I'm not sure if major updates are free or charge.

And it's also a trustworthy app, I haven't noticed anything suspicious and no stability problems. I must also mention that a tool like Ultra Search can still find hidden files, but can't open them if locked. Of course, hidden files are not visible in most (if not all) file managers.

Yes correct.

16. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks very much for the information, Rasheed187. Much appreciated. No, I don't have a separate anti-exe tool, which is the reason why I'm still looking for an app that is like or similar to Secure Folders with all the features it offers. Most similar apps I have found so far lack the anti-exe feature, so Secure Folders is still the best app, IMO.

17. Rasheed187

I would suggest to try EXE Radar, very simple to use and understand. And you don't have to lock folders individually. You can simply make a white-list of allowed apps.

18. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes. He's talking about that one...

20. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks, Mister X. NVT EXE Radar Pro is not bad, but I'm just looking for an easy-to-use app that simply offers a no-execution blacklist for user-defined files. I don't need all the other options available in NVT EXE Radar Pro.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Some people/users CAN choose to use BOTH!!

I do and on my Windows 8 64Bit lappy rig they are Perfectly compatible together. I keep Secure Folders just like SD resting in the tray On-Demand Only.

22. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

You're right, EASTER, you can choose to use both. Secure Folders seems to be the only app that combines all the useful features in one piece of software. IF I choose to use to use two apps, they should be as user-friendly as Secure Folders and without "features" I don't need anyway.

Secure Folders still works here (Win10 32bit), so there is probably no need to look for an alternative for the time being. However, if I found an app similar to Secure Folders that has been written for newer operating systems, I would use just that (free or paid).

23. Rasheed187

OK I see, but you don't actually have to use all of those options. But it's up to you, sometimes you just don't like or see the need to use certain apps, so I get that.

24. marzametal

I am trying to avoid going back to NVT-ERP until the settings issue in LUA is rectified; hence checking this thread daily for any news. Might have to give the Faronics alternative a trial. For mine, no-execution option is high in demand. Maybe Santa Claus can do another present drop-off on New Years!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.