Secunia

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I have done the test in Secunia and it told me i had an old version of Macromedia flash player and the latest one.

Now how can i uninstall the old version and keep the latest version as i can't find it in the add or remove in control panel?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

C:\WINNT\system32\Macromed or if your on XP it will be C:\Windows\system32\Macromed You should find folders with the old as well as the new versions. Go into the old version folder. There should be an uninstaller located there.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

How to remove the Macromedia Flash Player ActiveX control

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

One thing that i am curious about the site.

It doesn't test the firewall Comodo do you know why? i thought Comodo is quite well known now?

5. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hey guys,

I'm running Win XP and I am having the same problem as the OP.

I have Adobe Flash Player 90280 installed for both Firefox 2.0.0.2 and IE 7. When I run the software inspector on Secunia's site, it is showing that I have three insecure versions of flash player.

One file is in the win32\macromed\flash folder and two files are in program files\Music Match\Music Match Jukebox and Music Match Update folders.

I downloaded and ran the uninstaller but the files are still there. I tried to uninstall them manually as per the instructions, but I keep getting application failed error messages.

Apparently I'm doing something wrong.
    Any Ideas?

To the OP, don't know about your Comodo question but did you get the old flash files uninstalled?

Thanks

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Heres the way the flash deal was solved here. Brain lock here, so forgive the caveman speak.

http://www.pluginswitcher.de/

KewBee Plugin Switcher 3.0

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Flash can't be in use while uninstalling, so you have to close the browser and everything that uses it. Even doing this might not be enough, it wasn't for me.
    I had to use an utility to stop flash, then run the flash uninstaller provided in their website.
    http://www.flashswitch.com/
    You also need to clean something in FF's folder, can't remember.

zapjb: i didn't understand what that program does exactly. Please?

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Not everybody has flash in add/remove. I tried all the solutions, none worked. KewBee when installed is easy to use. Do I remember anything else about it? No. :D

9. wideglide36

What would be the harm in letting these old versions on the PC if you have newer versions installed?

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to uninstall old versions of flash.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If they are in use, instead of the newer versions, vulnerabilities found are unpatched, and some sites could crash your browser because of the older version:
    http://operawiki.info/OperaPerformance

edit:
    the example given is about Java, but similar problems can arise from not updated software in general.:p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  11. wideglide36

Hey again,

Thanks to everyone for trying to help with this problem.

Still working on it.

12. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Dr. Lucien Sanchez Registered Member

I just did it and it showed the samething as it showed you (I'm guessing you have Macromedia Studio 8?). What I did was go to the directory that it told me it was in and the .dll file, and now it doesn't come up in the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.