Secunia PSI

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PiCo, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

You can find it here.

It requires 1mb of disk, doesn't create start menu entries, desktop shortcuts, quick launch icons, startup entries, services, tasks in task scheduler, nth..

..but how is it able to start on pc boot?

You can easily uncheck this option in PSI settings, but how is it possible to start on boot from its own?

Appart from that, I find it to be amazing and extremely smooth :)

:thumb:

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

To me its useless, I generally keep my stuff up-to-date, Anyone who dosent However, FOR SHAME.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wouldn't call it useless. You have to remember that it's not just about Windows updates, virus, and spyware definitions, it's about EVERY app installed on your system, security or not. It's not as straightforward keeping up with your alternative PDF readers, media players, and the like. Most of these types of apps don't have built-in updaters, so if you don't see any warnings on a well-known website or get emails from developers, you may never know there's a problem with the version of the app you have.

We here at Wilders have each other and know where to find this kind of information, the majority do not. If it isn't on a news/computer website, they're oblivious.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I need all the help I can get keeping programs up to date. Java, flash, browsers, IM's, media players, etc. are constantly getting updated and Secunia makes it a little easier to keep track of everything. Granted using Sandboxie helps a lot where I don't worry as much as I used to but IMHO, running an vulnerable program and getting infected is equal to clicking on an infected .exe myself. Not a good idea in either case.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

My only gripe with PSI is that it doesn't close the app when hitting 'X', it minimizes it. You have to manually exit it via tray icon.

Is it that difficult for them to follow mainstream behaviour, hmm?

Otherwise great little app, it's getting difficult to keep up with all the vulnerable apps if one wishes to keep his PC fully patched.

6. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

It warned me about an IE vulnarability and a Flash player I had installed, but my main question still stands..

..with no task, no startup entry, no service, how does it start on boot?

Driver or sth?

7. swami

swami Registered Member

Startup User: psi.exe

8. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

This is weird, I can't find anything by browsing the registry, in startup folder, in tasks, in services, winpatrol doesn't notify me of anything and I don't see anything with msconfig.exe.

It's not sth of major importance, I just feel stupid about it.

edit://Wow! Found it! It was in task scheduler, seem I hadn't searched good enough!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Agree completely.
    There is a noticeable usage of CPU when PSI does its weekly full scans, aside from that there is no noticeable performance hit. I have it run on boot, and thereafter. Monitors quite a large database of programs.

10. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I guess i'm just an oddball and keep up with my reaserch too much xD

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

My guess is that if installed on 99% plus of computers Secunia PSI would find something to patch. Have just tried this on a client pc and found 2 programs in need of an update. I doubt if the user is anal enough to want to constantky monitor 42 programs. I would take this program over AV/AS and HIP anyday

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Don't think it needs to be an "either or", there though, Longview. ;)

13. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Mmmmm, it's in my starup folder. Don't see anything in task scheduler. Win XP SP3.
    o_O

14. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Yup, it adds itself to Startup folder, I got prompts about it from AnVir the moment I select that option.

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Turn interface mode to Advanced. Go to settings. Uncheck Start the Secunia PSI on boot and now notrhing in start and Secunia will not protect from changes and just run on manual.

16. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Maybe it's because I'm on Vista.
    There's a task in Task Scheduler which starts psi.exe with user log on!

It must be different in XP.

Anyways I'll say it again. Awesome little application :argh:
    It seems it doesn't let anything slip away.

17. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Ah, that's probbably the ticket. Indeed, I try to keep up on 6 home networked systems and I find PSI almost indispensable for assuring that I have all up to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.