Sector read error when creating an image with TI 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kcconlin9319, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcconlin9319

kcconlin9319 Registered Member

I've been using TI 9 to image my 320GB RAID 0 array (2x 160GB Hitachi Deskstars) for about two years now without incident. The array volume is split into two partitions of equal size, with Windows XP installed on the first and my data stored on the second. I always create an image (~60GB) of the whole volume.

Recently, TI 9 has been reporting a sector read error each time it creates an image. Chkdsk /r comes up clean, as does "Verify Volume Data" under Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM). No SMART errors have been reported, and Windows operates normally. The sector number is the same each time. This problem is mostly a nuisance, as the images appear to be fine (to verify this, I restored an image to a spare hard drive and booted successfully from it). Unfortunately there seems to be no way to tell TI 9 to ignore the sector, and each time I create an image IMSM marks the array as "failed". Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this a bug in TI 9 , IMSM, or the 100GB LBA problem I've heard about? Can anything be done to fix it?

System specs:
    e6400 2.8GHz (400x7)
    GA-965P-DQ6 Rev 1 MB
    2GB RAM
    2x Hitachi Deskstar 0A31637 RAID 0
    Windows XP SP3

Acronis report, IMSM report, and error log attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kcconlin9319

kcconlin9319 Registered Member

Turns out there was in fact a bad sector. Running chkdsk /r from a command line rather than using the GUI in Windows Explorer solved the problem. Apparently the two approaches aren't equivalent.

3. Xenon2000

Xenon2000 Registered Member

Sector read error when creating an image with TI 2009 v12

Hmmm, I have the same issue. But using TI 2009 version 12.

Uing a brand new USB Seagate 500GB drive. It's been re-formated as NTFS. And doing a chkdsk /r and a chkdsk /f find nothing wrong with the drive. I have even done chkdsk /r twice.

Yet I still get this failed to read sector on drive 2 (my USB drive). It's Vista Home Premium x64.

Acronic tech support has only offered the same suggestion of doing the chkdsk /r..... now waiting to see if they have any other suggestions. I guess I can see if Best Buy will exchange the drive, otherwise I have to do warranty repair with Seagate and it's not even a week old.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.