Sector 63 Errors on Hard Disk 3

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mzawacki, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

Why is it Acronis Support are answering most other questions apart from this one?

2. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

Never mind, I think i've fixed it now.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Which is/was?

Colin

4. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

I'll come back to you later today, hopefully i will know for certain, i dont want to throw wrong information in at the moment.

5. ronatola

ronatola Registered Member

I have a fix for my setup.
    It builds off of you earlier post WMILES.
    I want to backup within vista to an usb ext hdd.
    I have confirmed that if i plug in the ehd during a windows session and then attempt to run a backup to the ehd - it will fail with the error 'Sector 63 Errors on Hard Disk 3'
    But if I reboot into windows with the usb hdd plugged in, then the acronis backup job will complete successfully.
    Luckily my situation involves a desktop and not multiple servers, so my solution is a simple one - albeit a nuisance.

6. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

Glad my previous post worked for you.

Note for Acronis:

It's about time you pay attention to your business customers, i have submitted reports with no replies by you, surely if you are using SBS Then you should be replying a little faster. I wont be rolling out any more acronis until you do something about that support.

I currently have a server i have to reboot before i can backup, this isnt good, could you please look at my previous logs, this is not a problem with my drives, it's a problem elsewhere. i have now tried up to 8 different drives with the same issue.

reboot and the problem is gone until the next drive switch.

7. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

Looks like we are bottom of the pile when it comes to support.

8. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

A quick update.

I have had to set a reboot of the server 15 minutes before the backup, otherwise it will not work, i will wait for the next version and see what happens with that.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I've had a thought - do you have Exchange or SQL Server running on this Server? What happens if you use a script or manually suspend transactions for these two programs and then try the hot insert of the external drive?

Also what happens if you try a rear USB port rather than a front?

Where I once worked there was a security policy that disallowed USB ports being properly recognised if anything was attached whilst the Server was running - a right nuiscance when wanting to connect a keyboard directly to the Server.

Colin

10. wmiles

wmiles Registered Member

do you think it would only stop acronis though? because the drive works fine transferring files to it from windows server my computer, but not acronis, this is now happening for me on

Acronis true image echo server for small business

and

Acronis true image echo server

both the same latest versions and are loaded on two completely different servers, the only same hardware is the western digital 1tb external drives and that they are both dell servers

getting a bit sick and tired of acronis to be honest, for the amount you pay, the support here is poor when they dont even reply

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

But are you using the external drive for your files transfer or via the network?

Have you given the external drive a permament drive letter on the Server?

Can you see and connect to the drive(s) in Management Console or Group Server/Backup Server if installed?

Colin

12. GldRush98

GldRush98 Registered Member

Hi, I joined the forums to post here and say we are having the exact same problems.

Setup:
    Windows Server 2003
    TI Echo Server build 8203
    Full system backups made to E:\
    E: is an external 250gb Passport USB drive. There are 5 drives that get changed every morning (one for every day of the week Mon-Fri)

Everything was setup and started running on February 12th, the day I migrated the customer off their failing tape drive backup solution.
    Everything worked fine until March 12th. For exactly 1 month, everything worked perfect. Backups ran to drives that were swapped out daily.
    Starting March 12th every scheduled backup has hung on
    Despite the "Ignore bad sectors" option being enable and silent mode enabled, the backups still hang on this error and will not proceed.
    I have ran chkdsk /r on ALL of the external drives, NONE of them come back with bad sectors, and it has not helped the situation at all.

When looking in the Partitions Selection Screen, Disk 2, which should be the external USB drive, is showing "None Partition"

acronisservererror2.jpg

Rebooting the server every night IS NOT AN OPTION. This is a production server, nightly reboots are completely out of the question.

THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE FOR ENTERPRISE GRADE SOFTWARE

I can't babysit Acronis every single night when the backup kicks off to click ignore. If I can not find a solution soon I will be switching backup software for another solution.
    This will also probably be the last time I recommend Acronis to a client. :thumbd:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience and for the delayed response.

At this step of investigation, we do not have a fix for this issue. The entire situation is not clear and should be investigated.

We want to ask to provide us with the following information (not via forum): Acronis Report collected right after the error occur, Windows system information file. What happens when the backup is being created from CD version with our program?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you all for the cooperation and understanding.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

14. peno

peno Registered Member

I contacted Acronis about this, and they sent me a file SnapAPISetup.msi to install.
    After that it works perfect.
    I also installed all current SBS 2008 MS Updates at the same time, so I´m not 100% sure if it was the SnapAPISetup.msi or the updates.
    Anyway, it was no hw problem with the disc.

/Pierre

15. Acronis Support

Hello peno,

Thank you for your clarification!

Most probably, the hard drive corruption is not the case here, since even Acronis Report shows the error from time to time, as we can see in the first page of this thread.

Anyway, we should check if the SnapAPI update works in other cases. But please do not install the same version for all products (some of them use different versions of SnapAPI and installing another one can cause the issue). Please contact us via livechat as peno did and describe the situation, we will give correct update for the program.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

16. unixvsnt

unixvsnt Registered Member

I have identical problem described here.... Works with ATI SBS version (italian) on SBS 2008 Standard edition. I have try all that write here without solution. please send me snapapi updated file....

17. Acronis Support

18. gerysum

gerysum Registered Member

Hi,

I have the same problem on SBS2008 with 3x 1TB WD disks, but I can't find on the forum of this problem is solved.

rgds

Gery

19. unixvsnt

unixvsnt Registered Member

Thanks to Acronis Support (that in this case works in turbo-mode :cool: ) to send me update version of snapapi.dll . This resolved any my problem related this topic.

PS: Why this version of snapapi not are public available to download?

PS: I suspect that all this problems born from feb-09 updates from MS. :ninja:

20. greybear

greybear Registered Member

Same error. SBS 2008 using Seagate FreeAgent USB drives. chkdsk didn't help. Can someone sent me that snapapisetup.msi file?

21. peno

peno Registered Member

Same problem is back again!
    SnapAPI is installed/repaired again, but this time it didn´t solved the problem.

What is this ¤#!¤#!¤#!¤#"o_O?

22. mitrajoon

mitrajoon Registered Member

Same problem with new 1 TB WD My Book Home. Had to format the disc to clear it up. However, had to plug/unplug to get Windows (Vista 32) to see the drive after the incident. This also happened on an older 500GB MY Book but that one never recovered. I thought the problem was with the My Book but now I wonder. There were no problems with it until I installed Acronis Home 11 and then got the can't read sector 63 problem. It worked intermittently for a while by pluging and unpluging but eventully it just froze up.

23. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

gerysum and greybear, could you please let us know the exact version of your Acronis program? Every version requires its own SnapAPI file.

mitrajoon, you can update the drivers for Acronis True Image 11 Home here

peno, have the files solved the issue?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

24. antand

antand Registered Member

Getting the same thing on two installations of ATI Echo Server at two separate customers on different O/S's. Each customer has 6 external Seagate USB hard drives (rotated daily), and if you do not reboot the server after swapping the drive this error pops up and the backup doesn't run until you acknowledge it. Currently I have the two servers rebooting prior to the backup, but need a better solution as well.

Client 1: Windows Server 2003 x86 RC2, ATI Echo Server (build 8,203)

Client 2: Windows Server 2008 x64, ATI Echo Server (build 8,203)

I work for an IT solution provider and we've recently started recommending/reselling ATI, replacing our previous solution to our customers. This is a crippling problem to start seeing on the first two deployments.

25. Acronis Support

Hello antand,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

I have sent two files to you via PM, please follow the guide provided and let us know the results.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.