Secruity On Virtual Machine Confusion

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by kamy, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamy

kamy Registered Member

Hey guys I thought it would be best place to ask here as this is Wilders Secruity Forum Many Experts

I have tried to read many forums but i am still confused about this Question there hs been answers but still i cant not make sense of them

Ubuntu Forum told me that Ubuntu does not need anti virus They have got rid of any Virus that was made for the system that was there and they told me no need for a anti virus

As I am using ubuntu on a virtual machince my main os is vista on which i have installed Sun Java On which i have installed Ubuntu

But I have also read that if you are running threw Host the Virus Can transfer To my windows Machine But the ubuntu Forum Told me No way It will not harm My windows Even if Ubuntu did get infected Then below I read A statement From Another forum confused me more Please see Below

Each virtual machine is a separate environment and can affect each other or the host OS only through
    shared folders or by directly transferring infected files by other means. Actually, infecting Mac with Windows-based viruses is
    almost (if at all) impossible since these two OS are completely different.

Ihave also read if the connection is bridge it will pass threw the Network to my windows and Infect

And i Have also Read this will happen also if running in root Privilages The thing is i do not understand what root Privilages Is and even if i am running a bridge Connection

My main goal In what i am trying to achive Is to run a Operating system on a virtual Machine or be it anything else that will not affect my Main operating system something like this i want or if i was to get Malware That it will just go away

IS this possible please advise and sorry for rambling on Thankyou

Any other solutions that you can advise me on I just do not want to keep Scaning my system with anti spyware and malware bytes etc or am i in dreaming land and this is not possible?

Thankyou

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Have you read the reply to your last thread?

Run the ubuntu guest in a vm and you'll be safe.

You can turn sharing off if you wish.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. kamy

kamy Registered Member

oh yes Very sorry Meriadoc i was just a bit confused thankyou for replying to both my posts im sorry for similar posts i was unsure how to apply these settings that you metioned

"If the vm has a non persistent mode then changes are discarded on shut down."

"You can secure the guest as you would the host as its like running a separate machine...if running with a Windows OS guest and exposing yourself to threats then you maybe should install an av into the vm."

So would i need to install a anti virus on the virtual machine because the setup i have got is vista main then sun machince then ubuntu does this mean im running with windows os guest and exposing myself to threats im sorry i know please sorry if im sounding dumb im new to this setup you see the guys at ubuntu told me that linux can not spread the virus to vista this is this confusion that they bring to me and if i am right you are saying to secure the ubuntu? Sorry if i dont have it right

Also meriadoc how would i know if i letting the virtual machince have full privlidges because im not sure how i have set it up this end i want to set it to your configurations but not sure how to do this so how to :

not give Full root privilege means the user has all rights and

turn off file sharing

and does sun vm have this function non persistent mode?

Also is this the best way to achieve the kind of thing i want where i can just use the virtual machince and not worry about any virus etc etc i want something like my machince is always clean without the hassle of constant scans and spyware scan now is the best or only way threw the virtual machince ? Thankyou meriadoc

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi kamy, nothing is dumb when learning. No you are running Windows Vista host, with the Ubuntu as guest.
    Personally I don't run antivirus at all, Windows or Linux, never have only in a test and if you wish you don't need to run av in linux anyway because of permissions. A virus simply cant run (execute) so cannot do any damage unless you give it explicit permission to do so! Why? because anything that can impact your linux system, needs root privilege and usually you'll be signed in as a normal user.
    Linux is built completely differently to Windows and doesn't rely on file extensions to identify the property of a file, and does not allow an unknown file to run. All that is needed is to keep the operating system updated and a little common sense when to use root.
    I'm unsure in Sun's Virtualbox for file sharing between host and guest as I mainly use VMWare. Does Virtualbox have that feature under Device (?) then you would have to map a network drive or set up a share so maybe you don't have to worry about it. As for non persistent mode, again I'm unsure, perhaps a VB user may offer some assistance to that.

One way, it is the way I mainly work. Running Ubuntu will mean you worry less about viruses. If using Windows you could try out ShadowDefender. It can be configured to keep your documents you need saved somewhere then on reboot it returns your machine back to how it was before that session like the non persistent mode or similarly Returnil which also has an anti executable built in...See this thread on lite virtualization.

You could set up a limited account and Software Restriction Policy in Windows and only use Admin when needed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. kamy

kamy Registered Member

Thankyou Meriadoc you have helped me have a better understanding and also the ideas you have given are excellent aswell i am indeed looking into them and will probably end up using them aswell

Once again thanks Meriadoc:)

The limited account is hard to setup for me i am a newbie but i guess if i have user account control in vista im hoping should cover this
    They are similar right?

Update i will definatly use the above solutions metioned thankyou meriadoc your a star:)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.