Secret Tracking Data: Get your Data! Make an Access Request at Facebook!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Searching_ _ _, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Get your Data! Make an Access Request at Facebook! - Europe v. Facebook

2. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Thank you for the link.

Shared in Facebook.

3. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

I wonder if FB will delete your message?

Might be best to share that OUTSIDE OF FACEBOOK!!

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Anyone got one of those logs? What do they look like?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

See this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308818

I'm having trouble pulling up the article originally linked at the moment, but there is a pretty good example of a file within it. Again though, this is limited to Europe, U.S users (and I assume everyone else, is SOL.)

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Interesting and it is sad that the US has not implemented something similar. If we are able to request and have delivered our credit reports, why shouldn't we be able to also request and have delivered the totality of the information entities like FB have stored on us, who has access to that information, and who/what has accessed said information?

With this information becoming a more frequent factor in the vetting of prospective employees, it becomes even more imperative that users be able to review said information; even if it is only to get a firm grasp of the potential consequences of their activities on-line...

JMHO

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Heh, every time us U.S citizens ask for transparency or anything like it, we get the "national security" response. Sorry for the political comment. Beyond that, it's probably money. Making that kind of data available and seeing what really goes on in the world of data mining, would knock a hole in the business of advertisers and other 3rd parties, including Facebook and others like it. I truly believe if more people had access to what these companies had on them, there would be a lot less usage of these services.

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Politics aside...the money angle is relevant and a potential off-set if they (FB, etc) were to offer a paid service where a user could have this information delivered in a timely manner. Only one copy of the credit agency reports can be requested free of charge and they do offer credit monitoring services as a side business.

Combining the ability for users to get this information, even if they have to pay a fee, would be a step in the right direction...

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I completely agree. I mean, come on, the user pretty much gave them this information..so why can't we review it? We also have a right to know who is poking around in there. An employer looking into our past? Fine, but we applied for the job, we should know what they are looking for. A private investigator? Sorry, but most of these guys are twits and unscrupulous, so we should definitely know what they are doing there. We know we'll never win against governments and law enforcement poking around, they'll just cry foul and claim they can't do their jobs.

If I'm not allowed to control my data, I'm not going to use your service, plain and simple. Of course that doesn't stop the plethora of web tracking out there, but that can be dealt with too ;)

10. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

My share was actually a test about that thing exactly.

No, they didn't delete it. So it means either that a) they don't have filters at all, or b) that they can't filter foreign languages like finnish. Or c) they just don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.