Secret 3G Intel Chip provides Backdoors

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Firmware/hardware exploitation is absolutely the future and a prime juicy target for cyber crime and governments alike, I am sure we will be seeing more stories about those misgivings in due time. As for this chip and this article, its half truths mixed with a daily dose of FUD.;)

2. tlu

tlu Guest

The guys from heise online published an article about this issue. I trust them as they are usually very competent and thorough.

This is the Google translation of that article.

Quote (my translation):

3. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Mirimir unfortunately I think you will be kicking yourself, although you might get off coz whether Snowden leaks it or someone else it is inevitable. ;)

Reckon theres plenty of controlled leakage going on to prep the masses for the next abysmal step to the erosion of our privacy.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

This thread went off the tracks when somebody posted it was ALL i3, i5, i7 chips after 2011. Most consumer laptops do not have VPro processors at all.

Go to dell.com and configure a laptop, and when you are at the point of selecting processor upgrades, notice that you have a choice to "Add Intel Vpro Technology" for X amount of dollars. If you are in the Business section, many of those already have the Vpro selected, but even then, many also do not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

OK. I haven't had a chance to look through Intel's CPU database. So what should I be looking for? Is the feature always listed as "Vpro"? Or o_O And how would I identify CPUs with the 3G chip?

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry about this. There's been so much truth to come out lately that everybody is on a 'hair trigger.' I honestly believe this was a statement taken completely out of context. Those that know and understand this stuff say that it is impossible to do what Alex Jones is claiming. Simply, the technology only works if there is a WWAN (3G) card already in your computer.

Intel responded swiftly to this. They explained it and basically offered a bounty to anybody who could show them a chip with some sort of WWAN activity coming solely from their VPro/AMT technology - because it's impossible. The theft lock/erase features work only when there's a WWAN card in the computer. The mini cards are available for theft return use only, but still, the hardware has to be there. There isn't any hiding 3G. It just can't be done.

Alex Jones is right about some things, but wrong about 80% of the time and that ruins his credibility on the 20% he's right about.

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@LockBox

You're very correct about the "hair trigger" part.

8. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Thanks, this is an interesting analysis.

9. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Exactly. (Notwithstanding I'd put different figures in [to his advantage])

Im thinking any minute now this guys gonna have a heart attack. I don't mind someone convincing me about something based on fact, but Im afraid AJ's delivery method, even when based on fact leaves a lot to be desired. The guys a paid nutjob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.