Seconfig XP

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by raven211, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

So I'm testing this app., which seems to be very nice to quickly tighten some holes. Now I'm wondering if setting it to the home-profile (which ticks everything, BTW...) will prevent some things from working or atleast affect your system negatively - say, playing or hosting online-games or slow down browsing-speed or something in some way?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Backup your registry and just try. Your soft config is unique, so you have to test for your self I am afraid.

3. raven211

Okay, causing no trouble for now, so I'll keep it as it's obviously safer than without. Will test to reapply soon as I dunno if it's indicating "applied" if all checkboxes are checked when checking the software later. Is that so?

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

raven211 - I have used it now for a little less then a year with harden-it. No problems to report. Before Seconfig XP I was using WWDC but liked the interface and protections in Seconfig XP. Probably don't need either if you want to fiddle with your system settings. I don't so I have those two installed.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

Why dump WWDC for Seconfig XP instead of having both? They both do different things. All that you have achieved here is you have opened up some security holes and closed off different security holes.

6. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

After a lot of reading around I still don't understand what additional protection these tools give a person with a firewall installed.

Can anyone give me some info on this ?

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Perhaps, I just didn't want too much hardening tools on my system. I also had tried Secure-it and I believe it was called Computer Tools in the past. Just settled on Seconfig XP and Harden-it.

8. raven211

The different options for SYN-attacks in harden-IT makes me unsure if it affects my system in any way, e.g. browsing speeds or something else.

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I can't say I've noticed any adverse impact on my browsing speed. I haven't tested it much as I am not an online gamer. If I was I would question a lot of my security.

10. raven211

Okay, thanks. I'll keep it as it's now on that front as I already have Seconfig - I mean, just adding that have bolstered my protection already. :) Just see if someone else knows at a later date. ;)

11. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Harden-It definately slowed my browsing speed down. I had tweaked my system with cablenut before applying Harden-It, restoring my settings afterward brought back the browsing speed.

Seconfig XP working on Vista for anyone?

12. arran

arran Registered Member

seconfig xp and WWDC closes off and disables open vulnerable ports/services which thanks to microsoft are open by default on new install. the ports that these hardening tools disable are different so in reality you need both of them.

You can test and see this for your self by using something like port explorer or curr ports.

13. raven211

Thanks a lot for the answer. I'd really like that for download, but all I find when trying to search with different terms is about the Mac... :blink:

14. Someone

Someone Registered Member

It doesn't I think.

15. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I use SeconfigXp on a newish install and haven't noticed any latency issues with fave game servers. Pings are still all the same as they were before.

I have everything ticked - For Home

16. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I guess most people here have a firewall.

So why are people making these changes if a firewall already gives this protection ?

More changes = more system testing and more possible instabilty , IMO

Am I missing something ?

17. raven211

Only that I prefer to only have a properly configured hardware FW, so no software FW is in place. No problems coming from Seconfig yet though, so I think it's good to have.

Still missing a download link for WWDC though. :(

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

It's available at Softpedia

19. raven211

Oh, now I recognize it - I searched for WWDC. :D

20. arran

arran Registered Member

Because it is less work the firewall has to do. and easier/less configuration work to do. once the ports have been closed and disabled that's it you don't have to worry about it any more.

21. raven211

Running WWDC, the things that should be closed were already closed by Seconfig or something else, so atleast for, it's not needed. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.