Second thoughts on Windows 7

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kees1958, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Personally, I consider UAC as a tool that microsoft used to force the developers in making their programs run in user mode (LUA) instead of running with administrator privilages and change the users habbit to run their system as admins.
    On Vista UAC was too chatty and users disabled it; this defeted it's purpose. On 7 is more user friendly and users leave it on.
    For me it was a good decision. Although, I would prefer to see windows to use admin accounts like unix systems do, instead of making a superadmin supervisor system like UAC, Admin+UAC is better than admin only even with it's limitations.

Have only tested it on pro and ultimate not in home edition. But if you need the deployment tools you can download them from the following links:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/dd407791.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0-a0c1-fe871c461a89&displaylang=en&tm&pf=true

Panagiotis

2. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

To me, UAC is security against user error, not security against virus or malware attack. It simply tries to prevent the user from easily doing something stupid that could potentially mess up his machine. As a knowledgeable user, I have disabled UAC as I regard it as a nuisance. I ran as admin under XP for years with no malware problems, so when I changed to Win7 I saw no need for UAC to "protect me from myself." I have other security programs that provide all the security I need. However, I do agree that UAC is a good thing for the majority of users.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I have always run my box with UAC at max setting in Win 7.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sorry, that's what I meant and where mine's set to also. I don't know why I confused default with maximum :oops:

5. korben

korben Registered Member

It's been over a year now and wouldn't go back to vista nor xp, just my thought

BTW, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - worthwhile or not? does it pollute our machines with more issues?

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If it brings overall improvements, I'd say it's worthwhile. But, still beta or release candidate, AFAIK o_O, and I always wait like a month or so to install service packs, to see what other folks have to say.

7. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

As far as I know SP1 doesn't bring any new features. So for home users it will just be a collection of all the updates which were already installed by Windows Update. However I will install it when it will be released, just so that all programs/info centers display Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 :D.

8. korben

korben Registered Member

so..it's still in beta phase? got a notion it's been released

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/ff183870.aspx

It is currently a release candidate. When it is officially released it will likely be distributed through Windows Update like every other service pack. From what I've read there is no new functionality being introduced. It's mainly a "roll-up" of security updates already released. In the past it's been necessary to uninstall beta/rc service packs before installing the official release. If there's a problem uninstalling you might have to rebuild the system. I'm going to ignore it until it comes through Windows Updates and even then I may wait a while.

10. MrBrian

Service packs also include hotfixes which you don't normally get with Windows Update.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I didn't know that - can you give an example? In any case the past has shown it will eventually be necessary to install the SP in order to continue receiving new updates. As a rule I don't feel SPs should be avoided, but I do feel SP Betas/RCs should be avoided unless they offer some compelling functionality that makes it worth the potential problem of uninstalling them down the road.

12. MrBrian

13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

those hotfixes although not bringing any new functionality to XP, boosted the performance by 10% if I remember correctly, expect a lot o bug fixes.

14. korben

korben Registered Member

Holy cow, I had read that was final but that means I wasted my bandwidth yesterday grr

is there a release date then?

edit// it doesn't say it's either Beta or RC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I wouldn't go back to Vista orXP. o_O
    I like Windows 7. :thumb:

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. korben

korben Registered Member

JRViejo , thanks for clarifying that.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

korben, you're welcome! Take care.

19. MrBrian

I tested this in the release version of Windows 7. The bypass works with default UAC settings. The bypass doesn't work if UAC is set to max.

20. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    Amen to that.

21. MrBrian

From Windows 7′s security ‘time bomb’ (October 2009):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.