Second drive wiped and not recognized

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mistycat, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I have been using ATI since trialling V 6 and purchasing V 7 and V 9. During that time, I have made hundreds of restores both from within Windows and using the Boot CD. Recently, I have been using Seadisk just for comparison. The images I had were made by Seadisk but I preferred ATI so made an image with it. The ATI image was nowhere to be found by ATI or a manual search, I think it incorporated itself into the Seadisk image but was meant to be a full backup, it was definitely not an incremental. Trying a restore on that image to see what was up resulted in my second drive being wiped clean and not even being recognized any longer except by ATI saying it found a blank drive. My system no longer boots and I can't restore. Short of a format, which I had just done yesterday, is there any way to recover this. I need the data on the second drive but never heard of an entire second drive being cleared and then not recognized, the one image on it I can see disappearing.

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

what is the operating system? is it windows xp?

what is on the second drive an operating system and or data?

Also what is is seadisk that you mention?

When you try to bootup the restored drive, was the source drive still connected? If your using windows xp and both drives are connected, theres a remote possibility of "drive letter" problems on both drives.

You don't mention doing a clone, which if the box to "delete the source" disk is checked, this will delete the contents after a successful clone is complete.

As long as you don't format or delete the second drive, the data is recoverable. If for some reason you had a abnormal shutdown, a simple "chkdsk c:/f" on the affected drive can bring everything back.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

A failed restore on a drive leaves that drive in an unallocated state. If you had data on that drive it is now gone. To recover it would need a professional service costing thousands. It would have been wiped anyway during a successful restore. Any reason you left data on it that you need? Where were you keeping the Images? Doing a restore should not have altered your booting drive.

4. mistycat

The OS was XP Pro SP3, the C drive was 40G and had the OS on it. The D drive (not a partition)is an 80 G and only contained data and images. Seadisk is a slimmed down version of Acronis 10, I think. I knew my main drive would be cleared during a restore but not my D drive. I kept copies of the data on both drives because I knew both couldn't fail at once, at least, highly unlikely, wrong. I am going to explore this blank drive message I get, never seen it before. What makes me think the images combined was that up to now ATI could see and verify any images Seadisk made but not restore them, this Seadisk image was restored by ATI. Both drives are connected and this was not a clone. The restore did not complete, D has become my CD and C says no operating system found. Thanks for the replies.

5. mistycat

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. mistycat

Just an update, the blank drive message is only displayed by DiscWizard and not ATI and is out anyway. It's freezing and wants to delete partitions that aren't there. I have decided to reformat and hope the data on D is still there but here's something interesting. The first attempt wanted to rename C to E, the second kept C.

7. mistycat

After an install of the OS, things seem back to normal. I can see my D drive and the data is still there plus ATI now recognizes it and images to it. I got rid of the screwy image that caused this but I was wondering, is there an age limit on a Boot disc and is there any way to make a new one from it if I have 2 CD drives? Doesn't look like it. The reason I ask is Acronis is no longer installed and this disc causes freezing sometimes. It's only about 2 years old, in excellent shape on good media and burned slowly. Can it be copied using Nero or still cause problems? Thanks

8. DwnNdrty

In all True Image processes, I never even look at the drive letters. Just give your drives unique names instead of the default names, so you're absolutely sure which is your Source drive and which is your Destination/Target drive. For example, if it is a Western Digital 40 gig I would name it Wd40gig. And it helps to know if the drive is connected as Primary/Secondary Master/Slave as True Image shows that in some of the dialog windows.

9. DwnNdrty

There is no intentional age limit. As long as it is good, yes you can make a copy using Nero. I have a ver. 8 one that is 3 years old and it still works.

10. mistycat

Thanks but I think renaming drives at this point would only confuse me more, if that's possible. Not sure what happened but don't create images with DiscWizard or Maxblast and ATI as they may combine and cause this. At least it's all worked out well. Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.