Searching for simple firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by RejZoR, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Blue,

now that you've run CHX-I, what are the cons you've noticed, if any?

I don't mean lack of features like app filtering (it is a packet filter only by design, after all), but things like oddities/issues/slowdowns/etc if there are any?

For example: do you get high cpu usage spikes with CHX-I (CHX-I grabbing a lot of cycles)?

Have you noticed any significant drop in ethernet throughput with CHX-I filtering?

Or anything else?

And which version are you runnig (v2 series or v3 betas)?

Thanks for all the comments, already in advance :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

halycon,

I only tried Jammer, not the combo with CHX-I,

Blue

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I have (had) a firewall that does (but did) what the original poster was looking for. Controlling the programs which try to acces the Internet and give a warning if programs have changed. However it came with my hardware router and so not free for download. It worked well for me quite some time untill I started using NOD32 (thanks Wilders ;) ) The FW is fighting with NOD32, and especially with IMON. I send this issue to my router manufacturer for now, but no solution yet from their site. (though quick response, thanks AVM).
    So I disabled the FW for now and installed x-wall (free version) and it does as far as I can see now the same as my former FW did, however no issues with NOD32.
    Just my 2 cents.

Gerard

4. Arup

Arup Guest

I use CHX on GPRS as well as T3, unlike any other firewalls I have tried, there is no slowdowns whatsoever or resource consumption, downloaded 4gb in 3 days and there was and it was totally stable, the best part is that Net Meter shows uniform graph unlike other firewalls where there would be peaks and dips.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have not had one problem with it either. Very light and very fast for me. I highly recommend it...

6. BlueZannetti

After a couple of weeks of testing I decided to pull the trigger and go with LooknStop. No compatibility issues on any of the machines which it was trialed on: a mix of NOD32 and KAV for AV, BOClean AT, and RegDefend with a mix of simple surfing to heavy gaming. Fast. Does what I want. Works well and stays out of the way. It's not a simple firewall per se, but it can be run that way, which is what I do.

Only downside, from my perspective, was lack of a family type package license for home use.

Blue

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Wish they would address this. One reason why I did not go with it.

8. BlueZannetti

I have to admit that it gave me a little pause. It wasn't a trivial expense since there are 5 PC's at home and from a support perspective I like similar configurations. I would have loved it if one of the free or less expensive options did what I wanted, but they didn't as well as LnS did. So it came down to the feature set compromises that I was willing incur vs. the price I was willing to pay. Obviously, feature set won this round.

I realize that pricing is one of the hardest things to really get right for a commercial enterprise, especially for something like software where the cost for incremental sales can be quite modest. At the end of the day I try to assess whether I've received a good deal for the money spent. Based on my needs and desires, I'd say it's an unqualified yes for this purchase.

Blue

9. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I trust you did inform them of this. Given the number of users now running multiple PCs, a lot of security vendors are surprisingly backward about offering family licencing. DiamondCS, Frisk, Agnitum and PSC seem to be shining exceptions.

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Can't remember now. I think I may have done.

There were other issues but that was a case of sorting out, but in view of the price I did not follow through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.