searching for a linux distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Shankle, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Wrong on both examples. Shell scripting is something that CAN be done, just as you can write a batch file in Windoze. It is not something that MUST be done. And there are several GUI apps to handle IPtables. Guarddog is one. There are others.

2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Only if he gets to a command prompt. Not if the system just hangs.

3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

What fancy capabilities? Compiz works in Vbox.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

True but if the system hangs, then there is more to tackle than just video card.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi lewmur,

this worked for me and I was able to load the PCLOS live desktop. I installed on manually created: /, swap and /Home partitions, but rebooting after the install completed took me to a black screen, so again it looks like a video driver compatibility issue. I tried booting to "Safe mode" but that just took me to a command prompt and needless to say I had no idea where to go from there o_O

With the problems I encountered described above, this was out of the question.

There no doubt is a way to get this system working full 3D with Linux, but clearly the technical aspects involved are too far-reaching for my knowledge level atm. Maybe one day I'll figure it out, and since it's not at all a requirement, I'll take my time with it. At least if my efforts fail, as they have numerous time already, it's simple enough to delete the partitions then use Recovery console to fixmbr. My Windows install is imaged as well, so no worries messing it up in the experimental process - as I did once already ;)

Thanks all for your suggestions :)

6. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Have you tried using Virtual Box? And did you see Arup "6 Monitors" post? Seems it can be done.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Well, I got as far as downloading it yesterday, so time permitting I will definitely try it. Thank you for the suggestion! Yes, I saw that post which is what leads me to believe it certainly can be done with my hardware.

I'll let you know how things go.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Well I tried Virtual Box, installed Ubuntu in it and it's fine in default low graphics mode. However, as soon as I install the restricted drivers for 3D effects, upon re-boot of the virtual system I get the same problems as before, except VB at least gives me the option to revert to low graphics mode again. It's not for lack of effort, but I think I'll forego any more attempts indefinitely, at least until there's a driver in linux that works with my video cards, or someone using the same video config (Dual GeForce 7900 GTX) can post info on how to get them working in Linux.

9. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

NEVER, NEVER install restricted drivers in a virtual session. ALL hardware in a vitrual session is handled by the host OS. Attempting to install restricted drivers is GUARANTEEED to bust the install.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

So if I can't install restricted drivers - required for full video acceleration in Linux - in the virtual session, how am I going to realize full 3D graphics?? I can tell you that without trying to upgrade the graphics drivers, the virtual Linux session refused to accept the 3D selection. All I could get was a lousy 800x600 resolution.

Besides, it's no big deal for me to break something while experimenting; I've got full backup images of my main O/S (XP) so restore is easy. This virtualization concept is new to me, so it will take me time, maybe a lot, to figure it out, but I know I can eventually :)

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If the guest OS refuses to let you, then I doubt you can.

The hardware in a virtual machine is simulated by the virtual machine program, meaning than the graphics card you're using for the guest OS is NOT the fancy-dandy one you're using on your real system. What you can try, though, is to install the VM guest additions, which I believe should at least allow you to enable Compiz on the guest and/or increase the resolution beyond 800x600.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you for the suggestion, Eice. Once I get considerable time (I'll need considerable time, LOL) on my hands, maybe I can pore over the extensive manual on VB to get a better understanding of it. Besides, VB looks to be better used as a test intrument, rather than as an extension for using another O/S, at least in a typical home setting. I realize the manual mentions other uses, mainly server related, I think, where minimal hardware can be used to simulate more than one machine by setting up several guest environments; it's a cool concept but not one I will probably use for my simple needs. The reason i say this, and perhaps I missed the boat somewhere, but even in full screen mode, the guest O/S fills only about half my monitor's visible viewing area. It would take a 40" monitor just to achieve the equivalent viewing area of a 21" monitor.

Anyways, I'll get back to it someday, but for the time being, I'm rather enjoying my experience with 64bit Win 7 RC ;)

13. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

If you install the Guest Additions you should have full graphics.

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay lewmur, I'll try that next. Thanks again!

15. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

This is a loaded question...First of all the command line is very powerful, and for certain things, better than using "point and click". And 10000 commands? Try maybe 15 or 20.

And a distro "doing away with the command nonsense"? This will never happen. The command line is an important part of Linux, and will never go away completely. However with any Ubuntu flavored distro, you don't need to touch the command line for 99% of your everyday tasks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.