searchindexer.exe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I noticed the fan on my wife's laptop has been racing all day. I look in task manager and see this process is running at about 50% of CPU. I understand it is part of the windows indexing capability; but why is it running non-stop today? Will it ever stop?:argh:

The only thing I have done out-of-the-ordinary was to update her itunes from an antiquated version to the most current. I did that yesterday. I don't see how that would cause this problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for any advice or information you can provide.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

LenC, thinking that you could be using CCleaner, check the Applications tab, under the Windows section, for MS Search.

If it's checked, uncheck it, and see if the CPU calms down, running CCleaner after a reboot.

Had a similar issue, almost 2 years ago, with Corrupted indexing due to MS SEARCH option! Worth a shot.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is it absolutely vital to have the search indexer running...?

I currently have it switched off.

Thanks.

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Obviously you know that Windows still runs with it turned off; so only you can judge how important it is by the amount of times that you actually use it.

Personally Search is one of the first things I turn off, especially now as I have SSD drives.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I also experienced corrupted indexing on my first W7 32 bits laptop. After unticking the Search option in CCleaner, it has not happened again. Neither it has ever happened in my second identical laptop, probably because I unchecked that option right away after installing CCleaner.

Bo

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks everyone for all the responses - really appreciate it...

1) My antivirus is AVG Free

2) I followed JRViejo's instructions regarding CCleaner

3) Yes, I have itunes installed, so I disabled xml indexing.

When I disabled xml indexing, I received an error message that the index file would be totally rebuilt. It seems that the rebuild is happenining right now, but the cpu usage is way down - in the neighborhood of 5%.

So I'll keep an eye on the computer for a day or so. If I still have the problem, I would consider turning off indexing. I would prefere not to only because I don't fully understand the ramifications of doing so. But as I said, I would consider it if it becomes necessary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.