search data on drop down menu

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Trish Conjure, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish Conjure

Trish Conjure Registered Member

o_O
    I have tried everthing that MSN has suggested plus several software programs, including, Spybot, Window Washer and now MRU Blaster, but I cannot get rid of the data that Explorer is storing somewhere in the registry I believe. Whenever I perform any type of search, the data is stored and displayed in the drop down box of the next unrelated search. The only way I can seem to remove it is by highlighting it in the drop down box and then deleting it from there. I am using a WIN95 OS and IE 5.5 and MSN 7.
    Are you aware of any software that addresses that data?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Trish,

That sounds like Internet Explorer's Auto Complete feature. Have you tried going into IE's Tools > Internet Options... > Content page, and look for the AutoComplete... options? (These images are from IE v6.0, but, 5.5 should be similar.)

You can disable the feature entirely, or clear the data. Can you try this and see if this does what you need?

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

- I'll move this thread later to a different forum as it's not actually about a Javacool product.

Attached Files:

3. Trish Conjure

Trish Conjure Registered Member

Yes, that is on of the many things that I have done. I have not checked any of the boxes, "web addresses, forms or user passwords, I have also used the clear option, but that does not help either.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hello Trish,

Hmm, very disturbing. The lines of data in the drop down boxes used on forms on web pages input lines are certainly auto-complete information... And, you are able to delete the individual entires by highlighting one of those lines and hitting the [Delete] key....

See my diagram with some search parameters I've used at Google. This is what we're talking about right?

We'll need Javacool to explain a little more what is and is not covered in MRU Blaster as it relates to IE auto complete info, keeping in mind this is IE 5.5 on Windows 95.

The only other thing I have to offer on this is that perhaps it is somehow related to information "getting stuck" in an Index.dat file which is not being cleaned out. This thread (link), while not the same problem as what you are seeing, found a resolution by purging the related index.dat files.

Perhaps using the PurgeIE tool (link) can help with this problem, too.

LowWaterMark

Attached Files:

5. nipsey

nipsey Guest

so....i have a similar problem
    i want to purge my list of auto-complete entries
    but my company has restricted my access to IE settings on my computer.
    i can not access the tab for content on tools/options
    also, Purge IE gives an error about administrative rights

i am able to delete in the manner the poster mentioned: delete each one in the drop down list

but where are these stored and how can i delete all of them at onceo_O

thanks if anyone knows!

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

nipsey - Be extremely careful about what you attempt to do/alter on your company's computer - it could get you fired. Pete

7. Whatever

Whatever Guest

One attemp could be to right click the task bar (I dont know about windows 95 all that much) click start menu programs and click clear,
    Also you can take away the check box in IE settings which says "use inline auto complete"
    and perhaps a general "disk clean up"
    Its just a suggestion (as i say i know nothing about windows 95)

8. nipsey

nipsey Guest

Whatever: the first suggestion doesn’t clear the auto-complete
    The second two options are the things that are disabled on my computer. I was just thinking there would be a simple, non-invasive way to clear these values.
    One thing i don’t understand is where these are stored. They don’t seem to be in the registry.

In any event, if anyone has any further suggestions...?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.