SeaMonkey 2.15

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

@Daveski17

If you don't mind, what is it about SeaMonkey that you like most when compared to Firefox. The last time I tried SeaMonkey (which was ages ago), I decided it wasn't for me since I don't need a 'suite' and Firefox fit my needs just fine.

Out of curiosity, I tried it a short while ago and same thing. Nevertheless, I guess the interface didn't change so it sure has a nostalgic feeling to it...

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

This browser has an horrible, ugly and outdated interface. Only person I see posting about it nowadays is dave :D

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Compared to what, the non-existent interface of Chrome? :D I'll grant you SeaMonkey needs a little sprucing up, but it's not a half bad browser if given a chance.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I used to like it years ago when you could run the email client as a tab in the browser.. for me that was kinda handy at the time. But now I don't think you can do that anymore. The email client always starts in it's own window, and I haven't been able to find any way to start it simply as a tab in the browser.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's a legitimate browser and is usable. It's probably used by many people.

For those that use it, updates are appreciated. For those that don't, no need to comment.

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Compared to Chrome, IE, Opera, Firefox, Safari, Maxthon...

I believe Mozilla (silently) stopped the development of SeaMonkey's interface and new features.

Every changelog, almost all we have are the Gecko-related (engine) updates. At least on this aspect, the browser isn't behind (unlike K-Meleon).

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It seems to be a suite. May be useful to some.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, K-Meleon is a dead project, so it's not really worth discussing it. Maxthon and Opera are about the only well-known browsers left with anything resembling what I'd call an interface. The rest have turned into blank pages with 2-3 buttons on the surface. Anyway, yeah, you like it or you don't, either way is fine. A lot of people like it, and I can tell you from using it myself that it has less issues with page rendering and such than Opera does.

@Ronjor: Yep, it was born from the ashes of Netscape Communicator, which became Mozilla Application Suite, which died officially but lives on in the form of SeaMonkey, maintained by community now.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  10. Daveski17

I first used SM when Fx 3 wasn't working well for me a while back. It is the nearest thing to Fx that I could find. I tend to use it as a back-up to Fx, unless, of course, I'm using Fx as a back-up to SM. ;)

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

In other words, you switch browsers almost like pants :D

12. Daveski17

It has some nice themes: Kairo's Early Blue is a classic minimalist design, & his LCARS Star Trek theme was originally coded for SeaMonkey. I like Venerable Modern by Sailfish.

13. Daveski17

Variety is the spice of life. ;)

14. Daveski17

No, it was more like the die hard traditionalists wanted to keep it as it was. At one stage Kairo's Early Blue was considered as the default skin. It actually has two skins as default.

15. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Right. Thanks. :)
    Nice browser. No need for anything fancy here. I have to use it on few sites which refuse to be compliant with Opera.

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

LOL. I can understand why since both uses Gecko engine, share somewhat similar interface and some add-ons are interchangeable. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.