seagate lp hdd

Discussion in 'hardware' started by chris45, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris45

chris45 Registered Member

i bought a seagate lp hdd and it occasionally makes a sound like its powering off when there isnt any activity and after if i access the data in it it makes a powering on type noise. This is random it doesnt always happen but i find it strange is there anything i can do to turn this off?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Isn't it designed to be low/save power hence powering off/on ?

3. chris45

yes but it does it so frequently most of the time. It has me worried that its not good for it and that it would fail to work soon. It doesnt seem normal to me for the hdd to make a turn off noise 30 seconds while its idle and then to restart as soon as there is activity. It doesnt seem like its good for the hdd.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I am not sure if it will work for the internal LP drive but Seagate has Free Agent software that can change the time it takes before the drive goes into sleep mode. This is for their external drives but you could give it a try and see if it works.

FreeAgent

Tutorials

Edit: According to this thread, you will not be able to change the power management settings on this drive. See the second post on this page. Also, this drive has been known to have reliability issues.

http://stx.lithium.com/t5/Barracuda...a-LP-1TB-drives-results-in-massive/td-p/34380

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. chris45

i cant do anything?

6. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

If you can return that drive, do it. In any case, replace it. That's my advice, anyway.

I used to love Seagate drives. However, since the Maxtor acquisition, Barracudas (SATA) have gone to hell. Cheetahs (SAS) are still good, AFAIK. WD RE3s are my favorite SATAs now. They're relatively inexpensive, and RAID-capable.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Agreed to an extent....the entry level and mid-range Cuda's have seemed to plummet since they lowered their status by acquiring Maxtor(which itself bought up the other junk brand Quantum a bit earlier). Their enterprise grade ES.2 Cudas however...they didn't ruin those by mixing in Maxtor parts. The ES.2 is their enterprise equivalent to the WD RE3 drives..the 5 year warranty models.

Cheetahs rocked..they ruled the SCSI world...15krpm of goodness!

8. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Thanks, YeOldeStonecat :) I'll check out the ES.2s.

So what's your current favorite 15K SAS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.