Seagate Expansion Drive USB 3.0

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Osaban, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just bought a Seagate Expansion Drive USB 3.0 - 2 TB and performed a backup using Samsung's own utility "Recovery" which has worked reliably a couple of times.

These are the figures of my first backup: Size of volume 72.3 GB, backup rate using a USB 3.0 port 102 MB/sec, overall time 11.30 minutes.

I performed the same operation with a Western Digital My Book USB 2.0 - 1 TB: using a USB 2.0 port 95 MB/sec, overall time 13 minutes.

The Seagate with USB 3.0 was faster, but not significantly, and I wonder whether these figures are to be considered normal under these circumstances. I was expecting a lot more speed and I wonder whether the type and make of the drive itself can be responsible for differences in backup speed.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's impossible to get 95 MB/s on USB 2.0, are you sure you're not mistaken? Only way for it to be USB 2.0 is 95 Mbit/s, or a kind of incremental/partial backup.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the figures on the GUI were MB/sec. As of the type of backup I can't be sure (it doesn't say anything) but it could be a differential one. I'll have to do more tests (will try on another drive when I have time), regardless of this issue, the USB 3.0 is only slightly faster than 2.0 and was wondering what kind of speeds other people were experiencing with USB 3.0

Edit: Done a test on a small empty USB 2.0 drive, speed is only about 30MB/sec but still MB. I will try a new backup in a few hours and see if speed picks up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.