Seagate DiskWizard aka Acronis question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Siuol, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siuol

Siuol Registered Member

Hello,

I have been a user of Acronis True Image for a very long time. A short time ago, I purchased a couple of Seagate Sata drives, and with the drives came the Seagate Diskwizard Backup software, which is powered by Acronis.

I do an image back every couple of weeks and when i tried to do an image backup a few days ago, the result was a .tib file that was 133 gigabytes in size, which is normal and only one file in the backup folder, whereas in the past there would be up to 34 individual files, such as 1.tib, 2.tib etc.

Restoring from an image file, in the past would take me about 1.5 hours, which is normal, now however, i get only one .tib file and when i try to restore a image, the time to do so is 3-4 days. I cannot figure out what has happened in a short period of time to cause this problem.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

louis

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Usually when True Image splits the backup files without user intervention it's because the backup is being put on a Fat 32 drive. If you're using the same drive for the backup files then I don't know why you're now getting one file, unless you recently reformatted it to ntfs.

3. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Some Seagate drives are being provided with NTFS. I purchased two FreeAgent USB drives and they were formatted NTFS. Don't know about SATA drives but the Seagate site should have that info in the drive specs.

4. Siuol

Siuol Registered Member

Hi thanks for the quick response. i am backing up an NTFS system to a NTFS formatted drive, it has worked before, not sure why not now. More research on my side needed.

thanks,

louis

5. Siuol

Siuol Registered Member

Hello Bruce, thanks for the reply. I am currently searching the seagate site for more info.

if i come up with an answer, i will repost. :)

louis

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have seen the odd post here that imaging to a FAT 32 drive can be faster than to a NTFS drive.
    The fact that your earlier image was split into 4GB slices suggests most strongly that it was then a FAT32 drive whereas now your slow backups are to a NTFS drive.
    I cannot test this possible speed difference myself as all my images are made to a secure zone which is always formatted as FAT32. Perhaps you might convert the NTFS drive to FAT32 and see if speeds improve.

Xpilot

7. Siuol

Siuol Registered Member

Hi Xpilot,
    looking into the drives that i have, it was a fat 32 drive that the original backups with the 34 individual files was placed on. You guys are right, the new backup that i did was on a NTFS drive. Shame on me for forgetting this.

i will try a new backup to a fat 32 file drive that i have and report the findings. i believe this might be the problem

I really do like the acronis back up system, pulled my tail out of some some problems in the past.

louis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.