SD Flash Card as Bootable Recovery Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Aesop, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aesop

Aesop Registered Member

I have been playing around with making my flash card (4gb & 8gb) bootable with different operating systems, it works, slow but functional with Linux (Xandros and RH) and Windows (98SE and XP).

Before I go off and try to "Image" my bootable 3.4gb partition (Recovery Boot Drive from laptop Manufacturer to reinstall everything) has anyone done this before?

I gave up completely on my USB drive because it creates a file but when I restore it tells me it's corrupt. (Spent weeks on the forums looking for a solution with no success).

A

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Aesop,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that we cannot guarantee the success in case you try to create the Bootable Rescue Media on a Flash Card, as this type of media is not officially supported by Acronis True Image. However, it works in most cases.

In order to create the Bootable Rescue Media on a Flash Card it has to be formatted and recognized as a removable media. If it is so, simply start the Acronis Media Builder (see Chapter 9 of the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide), choose your Flash Card and proceed with creation of the Bootable Rescue Media.

You may also find the instructions provided in this previous thread helpful.

In order to check if the Bootable Rescue Media is created correctly, try to boot the computer from your SD Flash Card (set the correct boot priority in the computer BIOS) and see the result. If the standalone version of Acronis True Image can be started successfully then your Bootable Rescue Media is OK and can be used for performing the backup, recovery and other operations.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What exact Acronis True Image version and build number do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Create a backup within Windows then validate it's integrity using the Validate Backup Archive tool both within Windows and using the Bootable Rescue CD. Inform us about the results;

- Create a backup using the Bootable Rescue CD then validate it's integrity using the Validate Backup Archive tool both within Windows and using the Bootable Rescue CD. Inform us about the results;

- Please perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result;

- Are you able to create a non-corrupted backup by saving it to the internal hard drive?

- Try moving\copying large files (e.g. disk\partition images created using Acronis True Image) from the internal hard drive to the external USB disk having the issued using Windows Explorer or any other file manager and comparing their checksums calculated using the eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files are moved\copied. Let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.