Scroogle final days ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by CloneRanger, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I was assuming that it was some kind of geolocation using some other means besides IP address. Because Xerobank and Cryptohippie both show a foreign IP but a U.S. location in gmail. So I don't know. Maybe the IP for these two VPN's are automatically assigned a U.S. identity?? Anyway, I doubt that customize google will change that but I may add it again. I use to use it but it would no longer install. Then someone said that it is now optimzie google?, I think.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I recall that at grc.com, there is a web page comment somewhere in there about how they figured out your identity - it had something to do with some information that Amazon collected and was shared in some way - perhaps gmail uses the same technique. I have long ago disabled it, and it was when I was using WinXP Pro SP2. Now I use Linux in a secure Live CD environment I have created.

I still have CustomizeGoogle as a Firefox add-on at version 0.76 - haven't ever heard about optimizegoogle until just now. Think I will check it out.

-- Tom

3. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Yes this is true but MOST PEOPLE ARE UNAWARE OF ANYTHING GOING ON!!

Google tries to mislead the public by adding HTTPS:// and people think its safe.. (Little do they know though)

Deleting cookies IS the best way to curb thier activities however :)

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:cautious:
    As long as you create your google account and give them what they want: use fake e-mail and you'll be wiped; big brother checks up.
    Read the TOS for google account ?

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

There you go. You're exactly right. If you didn't take them up on the "email verification" or "cell-phone verification," you're out of luck. As I said in another thread, those security questions that you thought would get your account back are now worthless.

Also, that "Pause Web History" is riddled with holes and exceptions. Do you think that the FBI is going to call Google for your search history from IP address "123.456.789" and Google is going to say, "Oh, sorry, we can't help, they had their web history "paused." Right.

6. Metastasio

Metastasio Registered Member

Spot on.

I am sure Google is logging all sites visited while you're logged on their services, on a per-IP basis.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

With all respect, I feel this analogy is not appropriate.

"Violating" my privacy online by keeping track of the sites I visit and links I click on is nowhere similar to coming into my house. The former may not inconvenience some folks whereas the latter may inconvenience a lot more. (I don't have any statistics to back up my claim :D )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.