Scrolling Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Vietnam Vet, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi,

First off, let me say that the following problem is probably not related to this forum software, but since I am not sure where the problem lies, I posted here. Please move to the appropriate forum if necessary.

Currently experiencing a problem when scrolling on these boards. When clicking on the bar to scroll either up or down, it is as if I am double-clicking. Page scrolls too far down. Clicking on the arrows in the bar seems to scroll farther than it should as well. This problem only occurs in a browser window, to the best of my knowledge. Makes no difference whether I am online or offline. On WIN98SE, IE6.0SP1, fully patched.

Have not been online much over the last three weeks, and during this period, the computer was reformatted. Since this problem also occurs at four other forums I frequent, I originally thought the problem was at my end. Tried another mouse, with and without the intellipoint software running, no difference. Possible software problem? Wheel works as expected.

At the Lavasoft board, when clicking on the link to mark a forum read, get a blank page, but the forum is marked correctly. This may or may not be related. Have not yet posted about it over there.

Today for the first time since being back online, went to SpywareInfo board. The problem does NOT occur there! Now that really throws a monkey wrench into my thinking so far. This behavior is consistent. Problems here, as well as DCS, Lavasoft, Spyblocker, and MTM's forums, no problems at SpywareInfo board. Further testing reveals that this happens at most sites, but not every one of them. Some sites, such as http://www.doxdesk.com/, work fine.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

It might be related to one of the latest MS patches, that could have caused - for some users, sometimes- other problems too.

At this thread at DSLR is posted about it:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8510140~root=security,1~mode=flat;start=0

I have to admit that I haven't read all about it; there was a huge other thread there too.
    I seem to remember that there was hardly a solution, but I'm not sure about that....

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

4. Vietnam Vet

Hi FanJ,

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction. Went back and removed the November cumulative update for IE6.0SP1 and it does indeed return the proper functionality to the scrolling problem. Now that leaves me with a choice between accepting a loss of functionality or possibly leaving myself more vulnerable to the whims of some malicious individual. :doubt: That to me is really no choice at all. I will reinstall the update and hope that Microsoft fixes this, and if not, I will learn to live with it.

But at least I know what the problem is for sure, now, and once again, I thank you for your help.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi dear VIETNAM_VET :) ,

I'm glad I could point you to the problem, but I'm sorry I haven't a solution for it......
    I even don't know what is wise to advice you here........ :oops:
    I apologize for that !
    But I do know that R2 at DSLR is a good source on these things.

Cheers, Jan.

6. Vietnam Vet

Hey FanJ,

No need to apologize. Microsoft flubbed this, and thanks to you, I learned where the problem lies.

The workaround is the easy part. The Page Up and Page Down keys on the keyboard still work as they are supposed to, doing the exact same thing that clicking the scrollbar used to do. Even the right click context menu for the scrollbar still functions, all be it a little flaky.

As far as the TechNet site is concerned, I never allowed the activex control which enables the index in the left frame to run anyway, so no loss there.

If Microsoft decides to fix this snafu, fine. If they don't, I personally don't feel like I am giving up that much, anyway. So be it.

Once again the Wilders site with it's friendly, always helpful, and knowledgeable people, makes me look smart for deciding to hang around here. You in particular, I know, are currently experiencing situations that make all this stuff very trivial in comparison, yet you took the time to help. That says it all.

Best wishes and the best of luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.