Scripting in Echo Workstation build 8206

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jbswift, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbswift

jbswift Registered Member

Hello,

I have no problems scripting by either command line or XML. My question is, I'm adding additional functionality to existing software using visual basic. I want to launch these scripts for an automated backup process, but need to know when the backup process has finished or is currently running for my form design. Is there any process I can monitor to determine this? I would prefer to have my own progress bar graph or at least know when the process has finished to let the user know. I don't care to see the command line progress or GUI interface. The XML is a nice feature, but it is very limited in commands compared to command line scripting. It would also be nice to generate a new SID as a future command line option. As a followup question, after I launch the script, do I have to let the backup process finish or can I run other software concurrently as the backup is in progress? I don't want a corrupt backup and don't know if the same rules apply between this and the standard GUI interface most people use. Any help is appreciated.

2. jbswift

jbswift Registered Member

Update: For those who use command line scripting, I have completed my visual basic project with success. To monitor when the imaging engine is running, I look for a running "TrueImageCmd" process. After each operation (backup, restore, verify), i display a log of the current events which can also be called up later. I also wrote my own backup consolidation and have the ability to edit the scripts before the operation is launched. Since the imaging engine runs in a console application, i hide the console application and stream this information directly into my application through a text box. You can do this or run a separate shell or thread if you want separate windows. I have this running on a bootable USB flash drive running Windows XP embedded. Running under Windows is nice because I have a touch screen driver for the display and use the Windows on-screen keyboard for saving file names. This was an alternative I designed to get around BARTPE and the Acronis Linux rescue media for my application. My design can launch an operation in 1-3 steps depending on how the software detects the drives. This is handy for customers that don't read there user manuals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.