ScriptDefender 1.03

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by soccerfan, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

F.Y.I.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Huh

Never mind about Vista issues doc, what about the leaving the default associations in limbo like EricAlbert went ballistic over, and found myself having to reserve a single folder for file fixes everytime you went to uninstall that leech.

Now, with that being said, is anyone tried it and then uninstalled it yet? Because i won't even try it anymore like EricAlbert untill they've fixed that serious bug because it's but a simple matter for the developer to return the associations defaults back like they were before it went on instead of freaking folks out after a uninstall plus costs gobs of time to run VBS & REG files to re-correct those should one decide they want to return their coverages back to normal again without going thru all that hassle.

I see no mention whatsoever of that BIG bugfix mentioned. It;s why i use ScriptTrap now because it does restore them on uninstall.

ANYONE?

EASTER

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

The annoying thing I found about Script Defender is that it changed my default action for file types in Folder Options. I set the default to EDIT for some files, such as .reg, .vbs, so that a d-click will open-to-edit the file in Notepad, rather than run the file:

regfileEdit.gif

regContext.gif

When I evaluated SD, it reset the default action to OPEN, meaning I could not click to open-to-edit. Worse, upon un installing SD, it left the default Edit action with no command, so that attempting to open-to-edit the files returned a "cannot find file" error.

vbs-Edit.gif

vbs-go.gif

Very annoying indeed. Following the evaluation, with Deep Freeze enabled, fortunately a reboot returned everything to normal state.

As a matter of principle, I consider it potentially problematic to have a system-wide set of changes made in the Registry with programs like SD, ScriptSentry, ScripTrap. In this case, more than just changing the file association was involved.

But more fundamental than that -- these programs only protect against running a script file from within Windows. For example, clicking on the love.vbs file in an email attachment. This is implied on their web site:

But if one is concerned about malicious scripts, another danger is if the script is executed from a command, such as from within a batch file or autorun.inf file, which the above programs do not prevent.

This has been covered before in other threads.

----
    rich

5. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

March 25, 2009: I uninstalled Script Defender v1.03.

But remember that BEFORE uninstall, you must do click the 'Remove Intercepts' , so that all script interceptions (= S. D. changes) can be removed.

PROROOTECT

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I done that in it's last version and got exactly what Rmus screenshot showed, sending me to do the associations restore because at the time i had very many 3 letter extensions covered and after uninstalling SD, i was in a pickle for a while untill i could collect Doug Knox's file fixes and others from different sites like Kelleys.

Ho Hum. I'll stick with Script Trap for now. It restores associations no problem on uninstall for me on XP. (Waiting on Win7)

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Tested in cmd 'wscript test.vbs', bypassed of course.
    Removed the intercepts, uninstalled, and got the errors - "access is denied".

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

CLEAR PROOF by Pedro

ERRORS NOT RESOLVED!!!

Thanks for confirmation! Everyone needs to know what they can be in for should they decide to uninstall it.

Come On ANALOGX----------FIX IS REQUIRED!

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Here you go AnalogX...........The method of restoring associations on an uninstall is as easy as asking this developer

http://keir.net/scriptrap.html

10. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Thanks EASTER :thumb:. And bye bye AnalogX (at least for now)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.