Script Viruses

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zyrtec, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi all,

I've been checking the AV test results by AV-Comparatives.org and, there is a section for script viruses. Some AVs are very good dealing with that kind of malware while others aren't.

What are SCRIPT VIRUSES by the way ?...How does your computer get infected by them ?

I have also noticed that some AV's have integrated http web scanners and some don't.
    Is this feature really helpful when dealing with script viruses compared to AV's that don't have it ?...If I use a browser like Internet Explorer does it make my PC more vulnerable to those viruses than using other browser ?...

Thanks in advance for your replies since I'm just another newbie in the cyberspace.

Carlos

2. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

Hello,
    Script viruses which are also sometimes called macro viruses are generally embedded in email and office automation documents. They can also be found in web pages. They are usually written in a programming language that is compiled and run on the fly. Whereas some types of code may require you to click on an executable file to install, a script would run automatically, performing a set of commands and actions, e.g. when you visit a certain web page, click on a certain link, or open an infected email or word document. The web protection modules of some antivirus software should be scanning downloads and filtering or checking files in real time during web browsing. This may cause a little bit of a slow down while browsing, but it should not be significant. Smart browsing habits are still one of the best defenses. Hopefully this was enough information to answer your question.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

A script is just a set of malicious instructions. Scripts can be embedded into commonly exchanged files, such as Office Documents and make use of its macro support.

Script detection should be pretty straightfoward; just unpack the file and look for malicious instructions. Or emulate the file. However, emulation will negativly impact scan time; maybe not all AVs do that when left at their default settings, which they are.

Then, HTTP scanners just scan HTTP traffic for malicious activity and attacks via exploits. They can cause a slowdown and slowdowns have been reported. I am testing Kaspersky 8.0, and the HTTP scanner is fairly light.

4. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Excellent answers of both of you, guys...very appreciated it.

Now, I know what those malware are, and how they interact with my OS and broweser. I can see also that it doesn't hurt to have installed an AV which offers HTTP scanning.

Again, thanks a bunch. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Best regards,

Carlos

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast pro comes with a script guard, I am sure others do as well. There are also tools like Script Sentry etc. that do the same.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm shocked and surprised at the same time that no developer freelance or otherwise is even bothered to devise a brand new script program to circumvent & replace ScriptDefender which is a mess anyway or ScriptSentry.

The only standalone Script app i use that is 100% reliable and also allows a use to add either an AV or AS to do a scan prior to the user either allowing or denying it's run is ScriptTrap. Problem with it is that it only covers a very limited anount of scripts, like Reg, Vbs, Doc, Bat, Hta, etc.

I would that they allow us to add an infinite number of 3 letter extensions of our own choosing.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

A script has nothing to do with malicious code, sure it can be malicious, but you need to clarify your post.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A tool that protects you against malicious scripts only ? Seems like a niche market. My guess is that it's not worth developing (commercially).

9. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

A script is a set of instructions; possibly malicious.

10. Nett0pp

Nett0pp Registered Member

C0rrect0 !

TCSP

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Are any of those products still being developed,actively or otherwiseo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.