Script Defender problem

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rasheed187, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

About the scriptdefender app, I removed the monitoring of files and then removed the app, but now I can't open any vbs files anymore! What do I need to delete to remove the protection? TIA!

2. Rasheed187

No one with a solution?! Please, I need help AnalogX isn't helping me either! The problem is that the protection from executing certain file extensions hasn't been removed, there has to be way to do this. So now I can't open vbs (and other) files anymore.

This is what I get to see when I try to open a vbs file, seems like the extensions are still being associated with Script Defender even though I removed protection and the app! :(

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/9700/ScreenShot067.gif

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you reinstall Script Defender? That's what I would try until I could figure out how to restore my file associations.

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Tell me what operating system you are running, and I'll post a regfile that will restore the default file associations for vbs files.

5. Rasheed187

Yes I did reinstall the app and agian removed the protection, but it didn't work! I'm sorry to say but this Script Defender app sure is a peace of crap! The reason I checked it out is because HTAStop doesn't give any feedback if it is working or not.

TonyKlein, can you perhaps tell me where to look at in the registry to solve this problem, I should know these things. Strange thing is that vbs files are still being associated with Scriptrap according to my OS. Anyone knows about another app which blocks these scriptfiles, but doesn't work as crappy as SD?

And if you make the regfile make sure it covers the following files please: VBS,.VBE,.JS,.JSE,.HTA,.WSF,.WSH,.SHS,.SHB, I use Windows 98 SE, see my signature. ;)

6. TonyKlein

Copy the text inside the quote box to Notepad, and save in a location of your choice as vbs.reg (make sure you save as type: 'all files')

Doubleclick Vbs.reg, and answer yes when prompted to add its contents to the Registry.

Reboot, and test your system

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Script Defender caused me more problems too (XP). I could not even access the services or add to IESpyad! I managed to get the access back with a mixture of reinstall and a roll back of my computer but I know I will not be installing this when I re-format. Even when you think you have uninstalled I wonder if it does leave the registry back as it was. I still do not know if it has mixed anything else up.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

spybot and adaware pick these up when SD is installed on my computer,i think you need to put them in ignore

Possible extension hijack: Default batch file handler (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command\!="%1" %*

Possible extension hijack: Default command file handler (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open\command\!="%1" %*

Possible extension hijack: Default old executable handler (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\comfile\shell\open\command\!="%1" %*

9. TonyKlein

Or not, as the case may be; it could be that default values of those particular registry keys have been modified by a trojan or worm.

However, if you'd like someone to help you troubleshoot, it would be best to start a new topic of your own; this one is cluttered enough as it is at present....

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry :'( .what i ment was right after i installed SD,i checked,and those values were added for me.this always happens each time i have installed SD(about 3 times) id love your help if i needed it,but i dont.thank you TK :D

11. Rasheed187

Tony Klein, you da man! It worked, and I deleted the Script Defender app right away. But did this registry entry also remove protection from the other filetypes? Not that it really mathers since I only use one vbs file to quickly toggle "show/hide hidden and system files".

I'm now going to check out Script Sentry, it looks much more advanced to me, with more options. HTAStop could use a nicer interface, I think. ;)

12. TonyKlein

Good to hear that did the trick. :)

About HTA-Stop's interface, who needs one? It's just a little freebie that allows you to toggle hta ability on and off. It's not as if you'll be using it all day long....

13. Rasheed187

Yes I know, but it would be cool if HTA Stop would at least show whether the protection is on or off, sometimes details are important, at least to me they are. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.