Script Defender for Chrome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ichito, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The icon is similar to spyshelter's.

This plugin is really quite powerful, especially with the option "Allow External Scripts" cleared. However, this has caused some broken active content on NHL.com and theweathernetwork.com/. Videos won't play on the former and the active content won't play under Maps on the latter. I have whitelisted both sites with all external JS files enabled but no luck. Only if if the "Allow External Scripts" is enabled will these two sites work to full extent.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

version 3.1 was uploaded today:

Version: 3.1
    Updated: 2 November 2013
    Size: 59.6KB

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've used NoScript on FF for a long time. Very simple to use.

Although Chrome is sandboxed, I thought I might go ahead and see if Script Defender could enhance security.

The short and sweet of it... I tried it for a few minutes and found it very confusing. Very!!

I uninstalled it. IMO, it's easier to grant scripting privileges via Chrome it self than use something that I really don't know what it's doing.

BTW, when I uninstalled, I cleared all check boxes and used the Clear All button in the settings. Hopefully that removed all changes Script Defender made to Chrome.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I thought that Chrome was so safe it didn't need a NoScript clone.

5. moontan

like i said before, script blocking for me is not just about security, but reducing bandwidth-gobbling sludge that slows down page load.

if it can help with security, then that's an added bonus for me. :thumb:

check out the tutorial in post #12.
    it will help you get started.

it took me about 20-30 minutes to figure it out.
    with the tutorial i provided you should be up and running in no times.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  6. wat0114

Thanks I got it!

Hey, nhl.com and theweathernetwork are now working :thumb: :)

7. moontan

i had a problem where it forgot sometimes what was on the Whitelist but this seems to be fixed as well. :thumb:

8. Daveski17

Good point, I forgot just how useful NoScript is for reducing the bandwidth-gobbling sludge. Speaking of WebKit, QupZilla has a couple of relatively decent sludge-gobbling filters. If only Maxthon could do the same.

Of course, what we really need is a good NoScript-like sludge-gobbler for all WebKit based browsers. :D

9. moontan

maybe Maone should take another look at making NoScript for those browsers.

Script Defender for Chrome is proof, i think, that this is feasible now.

10. Daveski17

Yes, I don't know why he hasn't done exactly that. From what I can gather there was some problem with Google & the API of Chrome. I shouldn't have thought that was a problem with the other open source WebKit browsers though.

11. wat0114

The odd time I've had to do some manual tweaking to get something to work, such as the audio pop-up player on sportsnet.ca, where I had to create a whitelist rule:

*.rogersradio.ca

...even though there is already the rule:

allowexscript:player.rogersradio.ca

One thing i can say is that it's tough to fault this plugin for not blocking something; it's the other way around ;)

12. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I like ScriptSafe better, it makes more sense and easier to lock everything down. The cool thing about ScriptSafe is that it already has a massive blocklist already from combined lists, but here are mine.

EDIT: I incorporated all my blacklists from noscript and requestpolicy to scriptsafe. Here's my export:

annoyances|true
    annoyancesmode|strict
    antisocial|true
    applet|true
    audio|true
    blackList|["facebook.net","ads.ign.com","*.linkedin.com","*.skimresources.com","*.gstatic.com","*.awltovhc.com","*.pinterest.com","*.mailchimp.com","*.intensedebate.com","*.l4l5.com","*.sonobi.com","*.keywords.com","*.ad-vice.biz","*.outbrain.com","*.qiagen.com","*.ooyala.com","*.parsely.com","*.vindicosuite.com","*.fastclick.net","*.taboolasyndication.com","*.c-col.com","*.dmtry.com","*.yumenetworks.com","*.clickable.net","*.zazzle.com","*.clicktale.net","*.go.com","*.aunggo.com","*.brilig.com","*.directrev.com","*.flattr.com","*.hit-counts.com","*.postrelease.com","*.technoratimedia.com","*.burstnet.com","*.gravatar.com","*.lijit.com","*.nik.io","*.jwpsrv.com","*.optimizely.com","*.nbcudigitaladops.com","*.goldbroker.com","*.betrad.com","*.gorillanation.com","*.sitescoutadserver.com","*.tapatalk.com","*.sitelock.com","*.criteo.com","*.newrelic.com","*.raptr.com","*.emoticonhq.com","*.adjuggler.net","*.hgllc.co","*.dmca.com","*.cbsi.com","*.nrcdn.com","*.tubeiso.com","*.softpopads.com","*.oteupload.com","*.iecue.com","*.fayp.com","*.madadsmedia.com","*.crowdignite.com","*.gwallet.com","*.chatango.com","*.gumgum.com","*.media.net","*.yieldmo.com","*.perfectmarket.com","*.adziff.com","*.ziffdavis.com","*.fwmrm.net","*.abmr.net","*.pswec.com","*.lduhtrp.net","*.awe.sm","*.b4in.net","*.sitescout.com","*.ad-sys.com","*.adorika.net","*.sndcdn.com","*.adshost2.com","*.epom.com","*.ggpht.com","*.prndigital.com","*.reyhq.com","*.peer39.net","*.linksmart.com","*.delivery47.com","*.isocdn.com","*.bstk.co","*.live.com","*.superfish.com","*.roburydigital.com","*.cpinteractive.com","*.intellitt.com","*.eophase.com","*.ferala9.com","*.bkrt.com","*.etreme-dm.com","*.pitchinbo.com","*.adecite.com","*.provenpiel.com","*.spotchange.com","*.open.net","*.g101.com","*.bwb.io"]
    classicoptions|false
    cookies|true
    domainsort|true
    embed|true
    enable|true
    frame|true
    iframe|true
    image|false
    linktarget|off
    mode|block
    noscript|false
    object|true
    preservesamedomain|false
    rating|true
    referrer|true
    referrerspoof|off
    refresh|true
    script|true
    sync|true
    syncenable|false
    syncfromnotify|true
    syncnotify|true
    updatenotify|true
    useragentspoof|chrome14
    useragentspoof_os|w7
    video|true
    webbugs|true
    whiteList|["translate.googleapis.com","talkgadget.google.com","mail.google.com","*.youtube.com","s.ytimg.com","maps.gstatic.com","*.ign.com","fonts.ignimgs.com","oystatic.ignimgs.com"]
    xml|true

13. Kilmore

Kilmore Registered Member

14. moontan

i tried ScriptSafe a few months ago and i found it's script blocking was not always reliable.

i just tried it again a few minutes ago with the tests at the beginning of this thread and it passed them with flying colours this time around.
    SD seems a little faster at loading pages though.

i don't know if the Chrome team changed the API recently but those javascript blockers now seem to work reliably. :)

15. wat0114

I think you might find after clearing browser cache and further testing that ScriptSafe might fail some of the tests. it was inconsistent for me when I tested it just a few weeks ago, and I'm not aware of the extension being updated since that time either.

16. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I tested ScriptDefender on different browsers: Chrome, Comodo Dragon, CoolNovo, SrWare and BlackHawk - on each of them add-on work properly. For me it's more efficent, convinient and easier to use than ScriptSafe. I don't know if earlier mentioned built into Chrome "sandbox technology" are included also in other its clones but I think that:
    - is not 100% safe to trust browsers and their inner mechanisms even if they promise complete protection
    - each contents filter like ScriptDefender give us more protection than the lack of it especially if it can block almost every pop-ups, multimedia content, advertisments, stupid and harmful "I like" buttons
    - this add-on is so efective that we could resign to use other "adblock like" gadgets
    - ScriptDefender's abilities maybe not close the holes protected by Chrome's technologies and by this way look worthless but in time when socially engineered malware is more and more common every solution that offer more protection will be usefull...ScriptDefender looks so.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  17. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I switched back to ScriptDefender because it's nice to block Web requests and everything loads fast as well. There are too many buttons but once you fiddle around with it you can figure it out.

18. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am going to try it, let's see how it works compared with ScriptSafe.

19. wat0114

v3.2 is released today:

-https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/script-defender/celgmkbkgakmkfboolifhbllkfiepcae

I hope it fixes its inability to retain non-wilcard entries in the whitelist (over time the entry will disappear), for example disqus.com. it will retain *.disqus.com.

So far it's been a bit buggy in presenting all the necessary external scripts in the drop-down menu required to get a page to render properly, but at least the bugginess causes scripts to be blocked as opposed to being allowed.

20. moontan

tnx for the heads-up m8. :thumb:

i left a review on the SD Chrome Store page linking to this thread.
    hopefully, the dev keeps an eye on the thread for suggestions.

21. guest

guest Guest

I just wish this extension will be able to delete temporary rules when the tab/browser is closed. No other complains since it does its job perfectly fine. Well, maybe the name since "Defender" is such a cheesy name. ScriptGuard or ScriptMutu will do. :D

Anyway, I use this extension and block all javascript and plugins in Chrome's setting in case if Script Defender failed to block javascript/plugins, so Chrome's built-in javascript/plugins control will save the day. I know, I know, Script Defender takes over Chrome's javascript/plugins control. But as long as it's not overlapping, why not? :)

22. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

After a couple of days i like it more and more. At the moment I have disabled ScriptSafe and just use Defender. Another few days of trial and then I might uninstall ScriptSafe.

23. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, I have some ;) As a matter of fact, I had tested an older version of ScriptDefender some time ago and removed it after some days. Reasons:

1. No temporary rules.
    2. While the "whitelist" is editable, the "list" is not.
    3. No control of 3rd party scripts.

The third issue is solved in the new version, the first two ones are not. And here's where ScriptBlock is still superior. Once these issues are solved, I will be tempted to call ScriptDefender a real Noscript-like add-on. Oh - and adding a blacklist (like in Noscript) would be a really nice feature in order to declutter the normal menu from all those trackers/adservers.

24. wat0114

Although a bit cumbersome, the list can be exported, then edited with a text editor, after which you clear the current list then import the new edited one.

*EDIT*

v3.2 released Nov 06...

-https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/script-defender/celgmkbkgakmkfboolifhbllkfiepcae/details

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  25. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, that's true. As you said: a bit cumbersome ;)

And I'm really missing temporary rules. I don't want to save the rules for all sites (which need JS in order to load properly) I stumbled upon just once in my life. But exactly this happens if you forget to revert your decision in ScriptDefender resulting in a giant list unless you regularly clean it up as suggested by you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.