Screen Resolution Settings?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by puff-m-d, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

All of a sudden my screen resolution settings are not being retained after powering down or rebooting my system (Start>Control Panel>Display Properties>Settings>Screen Resolution). The color settings and everything else is retained. I have not installed anything new on my system when this problem started. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled both my monitor drivers and video card drivers, but the problem persists..... I can set the resolution, then "apply" and "ok" from the settings panel, but on shutdown and startup of my system, this setting falls back to the lowest resolution.....

I hope someone has some advice for me on this as it is very annoying to have to reset the screen resolution every time I start up my system....

Regards,
    Kent

2. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I didn't see your OS listed in your notes?!? It may depend on which OS you are using?

http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm

Thinking it may have something to do with fast switching perhaps? Are there others users of the computer?

3. puff-m-d

In the meantime, I found a registry key to set the default resolution but I do not have that key in my registry, several other similar ones tho... (see here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm under display)....

I also fired off a problem report to ATI Radeon and shall see what happens there....

Regards,
    Kent

4. puff-m-d

Pretender,

I have XP Pro.... I am the only user on my system and have fast user switching disabled since I do not use it....

Regards,
    Kent

5. puff-m-d

Just a little update....

ATI/Radeon sent me a form response telling me to read the FAQ's and do an uninstall>clean the registry>reinstall (which I had already done)..... So I sent them a reply that I had already done all this stuff and am waiting for a reply.....

It looks like not many others, if any, have had this problem ;) ....

Regards,
    Kent

6. Pretender

I'm not sure where else to go with this at the moment, but I wish you luck. Please let us know if (when) you find the answer.

7. puff-m-d

Will do....
    Still waiting for a response from ATI/Radeon...........

Regards,
    Kent

8. puff-m-d

Well, it has been more than 48 hours and no reply from ATI/Radeon....

However, I was doing my every other week or so boot time defrag with DisKeeper (I have it set to do checkdisk first) and during checkdisk it said "The volume is dirty.". I do not know what that means but I assume checkdisk "cleaned" the dirt away o_O ...

Well, after checkdisk and the boot time defrag, and the subsequent system reboot, all was working fine again.... This was the only other thing that I done to my system that could have fixed it, but it was just by chance that I done it...

Hopefully the problem is now gone for good....

Does anyone know what the message "The volume is dirty." means in checkdisk?

Regards,
    Kent

9. Pretender

Using NTFS? Volume is full maybe? There are different reasons why a volume will show as dirty. Not enough allocated space in volume. Problem when volume is extended. etc.

10. puff-m-d

I have two striped 120 gb hard drives with only about 40 GB used.....

From this site: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/fsutil_dirty.asp

"If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume."

Regards,
    Kent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.