screen capture freeware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by the Tester, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I found a few interesting programs at webattack last night.I was looking for freeware screen capture programs and I found two that I am trying out.This is my first experience with this type of program.Gadwin Printscreen(version 2.5)is easy to use and has a feature for e-mailing a screen shot.It's easy enough that I operated it with very little study. http://www.Gadwin.com MWSnap3 is a more advanced program.It's a little over my head at this point,but I'm going to check it out.Webattack has high praise for this program. http://www.mirwoj.opus.chelm.pl

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

What is wrong with alt-PrintScreen?

Just don't hit ctrl-alt-printscreen! (ok I dare ya;) )

Attached Files:

3. the Tester

Unicron.At the risk of sounding stupid.....what is alt.PrintScreen?Is that some M$ tool on xp?(that wouldn't surprise me)I never heard of alt PrintScreen before.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Tester:

Each windows OS has the ability to "screen capture" by hitting the "Print Screen SysRq" key.

NOTHING will visibly happen but you go to Start/Accessories and look for the MS Paint program, open that, then hit Ctrl/V which pastes the captured image into it which you then save in a format like jpeg.

Hitting the Alt/Print Screen will "capture" only the active window you have up. Hitting the Print Screen by itself will capture the whole virtual desktop window.

It works fine but is pretty cumbersome IMO of a way to do it.

also the images saved are pretty big using jpeg format.

I use HyperSnap4.0 [not free] which captures all types of screen images, can even "scroll" the screen if using multiple pages. Also saving it in GIF format is way smaller for web posting.

see example. Note the size of the pic. Small compared to jpeg, but as every bit clear in quality. I saved this shot in both GIF/JPEG and jpeg was 32Kb BIGGER, but the quality looked virtually the same with the exception of the slight "staggering" of the bar across the top fo the pic. GIF format only around 33Kb. jpeg was over 65Kb

Of course you need the jpeg quality for printing.

Cheers, TAS.

Attached Files:

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Hi tester, alt-printscreen is a combination of key strokes:

hold down tha "ALT" key,
    and while doing that press the "PRINTSCREEN" key located at the far upper right of your keyboard. (near "SCROLL LOCK" and "PAUSE/BREAK")

This takes a screenshot of the window that currently has the focus.
    To take a screenshot of your entire desktop including any open windows, icons ect, then use just "PRINTSCREEN".

Once you have done this (nothing will tell you it worked) the image is stored in your clip board.

Just open up MS Paint and use CTRL-V (once again a simutanious key combination of the "CTRL" key and the "v") to paste it into the Paint window. Voila! Save it as any type Paint can do (bitmap or jpeg or gif I prefer gpeg)

You can paste the image into any image editor really.

This feature is included in every MS operating sysyem I have used, and I haven't used XP. (buyt I am sure it works there too).

People who want you to pay rarely mention the existence of this feature.

Attached Files:

• sbsd.jpg
      sbsd.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Tassie_Devils

oops sorry unicorn, would not have bothered if I knew you were replying so fast. :D

btw, Ctrl/C ?

does that work as well, thought Ctrl/v and when I hit the Print Screen just by itself, it captures the whole desktop, do not have to hold shift down, for me anyway. Just tried it.

edit: nope, ctrl/c = copy, I thought it may have worked seeing as you use PrntScrn function. Small typo then! :D

anyway Tester, both Unicorn and I virtually said the same thing, just save in GIF format for posting web shots, much smaller size.

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Opps! my bad, you are right. Dunno what I was thinking
    Indeed it does. I tried it once and it didn't work but it did when I tried again.

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes. I wouldn't want to complicate things with wrong instructions!

I don't like the weird color thingies that you get with gifs sometimes doing this. better to use a bitmap then do a resample with a better imaging program if you have one. Or just use jpeg.

8. Tassie_Devils

Hi Unicorn.

Your shot similar size [on screen] as mine plus actual size 54Kb close to my JPEG format shot.

Just when I save using JPEG format, I capture it at a screen resolution of 3200 DPI as I do a lot of printing of screen captures I use to do write ups for my newspaper on different programs, so I need the larger format to convert it to print quality in Adobe Photoshop in EPS format for newspaper print.

9. Tassie_Devils

yeah sometimes the colours do get a bit weird, but only when trying to save from Photoshop from me.

but just for pure web posting, I always use gif, much smaller to upload, and saves on the site's bandwith [doing my best to keep Paul's costs down, lol].

this is the first time I have ever used MS Paint on my PC for this test, as I have for years used Adobe Photoshop, so bit hard to go back to a very basic image editor proggy, lol.

Cheers, TAS

10. Tassie_Devils

hmmmm.
    Just did an interesting test on this using Paint

Captured virtual desktop, then saved it as a 24-bit BITMAP image.

Size: 2.25Mb wow, what a monster, good quality image to work with in Photoshop then.

also saved it using HyperSnap using just 72 dpi but as an uncompressed BITMAP.
    Size: 2.25Mb

Same size. Quality of both images looked the same. I might have a play around with both images in Photoshop to see if any discernible differences.

That's it from me. ;)

Cheers Tester/Unicorn, TAS

11. the Tester

Hmmm.Screen capture in xp?Another "goody" I didn't know that I had! :eek: I don't have MS paint.I have been looking for a paint utility on my pc.Maybe Adobe?I have Acrobat Reader.I'll have to do some more searching.Any ideas what xp home edition might have?BTW.You two know way more about this stuff than I do!I'm learning a lot from this thread.Thanks.

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

MS Paint has really good quality when working with Bitmap (.bmp) images, but it is merely adequate when saving Jpeg (.jpg) files, and poor saving GIF (.gif) files. The quality of those GIF images, and that strange color effect you mentioned, (almost like looking thru a prism), is really a problem. So, I started using Irfanview.

Pasting the screen images (Alt+Print Scrn) into Irfanview and saving as GIF is all I use now, (see any images I post here), and the quality is fantastic for posting on the web. And, as you said, the size is the smallest.

The great thing about IrfanView, besides being free, is that the install is very simple and clean. It asks you if you want to associate any/all filetypes with IrfanView, or just leave them assigned to whatever other image editor or MS product (defaults) you have. Also, no adware or spyware in the base install kit.

So, I don't use any special capture program - just Windows and Irfanview.

13. LowWaterMark

XP Home has Paint at: Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint

But, as I said above, Irfanview is better, free and non-intrusive.

14. the Tester

LWM.You are correct!I found paint in the place you posted.Irfanview?I'll have to check that out.I have heard of that program.I didn't know what it was.I understand from using a digital camera last Summer how "tricky" photo format is.The default settings had bmp.I found out that gif or jpeg are much easier to work with.Thanks for the tip.Looks like I'm going to continue to learn about screen captures.

15. LowWaterMark

Yeah, it's a great program. I did my avatar in it, so, as you can see, it must be a great graphics program. :D

16. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

For fun, you can screencap IrfanView screencaping itself screencapping itself!

Recursive screen capping, there outta be a law...

And no kidding the image is way better than Paint did with gif OR jpeg.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Attached Files:

17. LowWaterMark

18. the Tester

I installed Irfanview.You weren't kidding about it being easy to use!I did some screen captures and they looked really sharp!I'll see how they look after printing a few.Irfanview is very versatile,more than the two programs I was testing.I see that there is a plugin for e-mail.It's also easy to track down the screen shot files.Excellent tip!!!Thanks!!! EDIT:That link contrasting Irfanview with the two paint type tools is striking indeed.There's no comparison there IMO.Irfanview is definitely a lot better quality of that image.

19. Tassie_Devils

LOL, LWM

Gotta love the way you used the textures/light/colours to capture that amazing avatar image you have going. :D

But geez mate, you are getting a bit slack aren't you. Why isn't it animated. Like having that wonderous "dot" like move/flash around that big empty white box.

Come on, get your darn act together! :cool:

Tester, yes, Infranview is a great program like LWM says, I have used it, but since I have Adobe Photoshop, I don't need it for manipulation.

BTW, jpeg, gifs are much easier to work with, but lack quality if you want to print them out. While BMP's may be huge in size, they are superior quality for printing, just don't try and post a BMP in forums, you may get screamed at by the Mods :doubt:

Cheers, TAS.
    PS: LWM, Next time I see a post of yours I expect that 1 pixel to have grown into at least 2 for the avatar, k ? [heh!]

20. LowWaterMark

At the moment, it's a tired and lonely little dot. :(

I'll see if I can find it a friend. :D

Attached Files:

21. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

(i couldn't resist - it's such a cute li'l pixel LowWaterMark)

Attached Files:

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Snap, seems you saved another avatar on this board. I really love your animation!

I use Irfan quite some time and with all possible plugins, so can even play music with it, much quicker and no calling home like with WMP for instance.

23. root

root Registered Member

Snap, that is great!
    I haven't heard from you for a while. Am I going to have to break down and write first? :D

24. LowWaterMark

hehehe - Thank You Snap !!! It's perfect!! :-*

Changed my sig for this little guy!

25. Tassie_Devils

WOW, snap's done it again. Verrrry cool! :cool:

Now, that is Brilliant!

See LWM, I give you a "serve" about your avatar and look what happens.
    The damsel rescues the knight.

Bloody marvellous. :D

Attached Files:

• snap.jpg
      snap.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.