Scot Finnie awards Online Armor firewall of the year 2008

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I'm not using OA anymore, so I don't know but if you ask on OA Forum I'm sure you will get some sort of answer.:)

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The level of its SPI and, if applicable, DPI. Stem has often wondered about the effectiveness of this in personal firewalls.

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

A proper test must include all aspects and functions of the wall,irrespective of the opinions of the tester.
    Just because he doesnt think some aspects are important isnt a reason to leave them out.
    This goes against all accepted principles of testing anything and must degrade his final results.
    Objective testing would be worthless if this trend is accepted.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Objective testing is not possible. At least because different people value different things. So nobody can find those golden balance where all the aspects have their true value. This is why every tester states criteria he regards as most important and tests according to his criteria.

5. Hairy Coo

So what value is an incomplete test?

Disagree with your comments-such testers seem in the minority luckily and I would consider them as a joke
    Its not a matter of valuing different things its a matter of trying to be impartial and controlling ones bias.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Ok. I'm not a psychoanalitic to dig into such comlex things. I just try to come out from the things that everybody can check and confirm.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

He does test inbound strength of personal firewalls. The link in post #36 points to, amongst other things, this:

I don't know how gruelling that last test really is, but he says it's gruelling :)

8. Hairy Coo

The point remains that regarding the Awards we are discussing in this thread-he didnt test the walls inbound capabilities properly-thats just a fact.

Whether he tested differently at other times surely is irrelevant and off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.