Scientific Linux 6 (rolling) posted

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Scientific Linux has posted a version 6 at their download site (1.7 gigs). Both 32 and 64bit. If you're interested here's the download link...

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/iso/

I downloaded the 32bit version. Probably will try it out this evening or tomorrow.
    Just curious as to what's in it and how it runs.

Later...

P.S.
    Humm...I wonder if Ocky will try it out?

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

3. Trespasser

Just tried it out. Not bad. Got wireless going easy enough. Runs a 2.6.32 kernel. This version has mplayer installed unlike Red Hat beta 1 (didn't try beta 2) that is if I recall correctly. No extra repos added for stuff like vlc, abiword, etc.. A bit disappointed there. The only problem I had was Firefox (3.6.6) wouldn't execute. I finally got it going by uninstalling then reinstalling it. I did a disc check which showed no errors. Just funny.

No scientific applications were installed at all (which is odd for a Scientific Linux install). As one would expect...it reminds you a great deal of Red Hat. :).

Later...

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I would wait for rhel to go official, then wait for centos and scientific.
    Mrk

5. Trespasser

Sensible approach. I was more or less hoping the Scientific Linux team had added their usual list of third party repos. That would have made the install a whole lot more interesting. Probably would have kept it on my laptop for a while if there had been. But, there wasn't...so I CloneZilla-ed my way back to Peppermint. It did feel quite fast and responsive, though.

Later....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.