Scheduling Restore with Acronis TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kmsam, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmsam

kmsam Registered Member

Folks,

I use Acronis TI ver 9 for scheduled folder backups. I have now found that I cannot schedule a restore. A scheduled restore for folder backup would make life pretty easy because I do not want to keep my backups in archive format for accessibility reasons. Is this available in a higher version or is it something I am being unreasonable to ask for?

Sam

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Sam,

Could you be more specific on what you wish to do? Which drive or partition are you backing up, where are you backing it up to, and where do you wish to restore it to?

At first thought, a scheduled restore is a scary business, as it will just overwrite current data. Backups are generally meant for archival purposes, even if the archival period is short. I may be guessing wrong on what your goal is, but it sounds more like a job for a synchronizing program, rather than a backup or imaging program.

CatFan

3. kmsam

kmsam Registered Member

CatFan,

Hi. My earlier post was about using Acronis to backup SQL database. I got a very comprehensive response from the support team but there was something about application consistency that could not be guaranteed. So I decided to set up a comprehensive backup strategy using SQL backup features that combines period full, differential and transaction log backups. I have transaction log backups every one hour(deleted after every day), four differential backups and one full backup.

Now the folder with these SQL dumps is what I am archiving using TI, storing the the folder image in a warm backup server. Since I copy the TI image to the backup server every so often, I fancied a way to be able to schedule a restoration from the archive to a folder on the warm backup server. The bit about overwriting should not be a problem in this arrangement. Of course I also have a static image of the whole partition for the sake of the OS and applications.

Do you now see how restoring my archive automatically makes my warm backup server easier to activate in a disaster scenario?

Sam

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Sam,

Yes I do see what you're after, and have no idea if a higher version of ATI has what you're after.

Clearly you know what you are doing, but for home users and most others, scheduling a restore from an image is so inherently dangerous that I can see why it isn't included in backup and imaging programs. At any rate, you're in over my head. Good Luck.

CatFan

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kmsam,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions have a capability of automating the restoration process.

Please be aware that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers and they have already been forwarded to our Development Team, so it will certainly be considered.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.