Scheduling Question

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Green Lantern, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Registered Member

I am a new user and I'm finding some of the help topics delivered with the software a bit sparse. Could anyone answer these questions for me?

1. if I schedule a backup and the system is not running at the time will it execute the backup the next time the system is started up?

2. what happens to a backup if it is running in the background, the user is unaware of the ongoing backup and shuts down the system? Will it continue when the system restarts or will is just fail?

3. when I installed the software I only gave myself rights to "use" the program. If I schedule backups for other users on a multi-account pc will the backups run even if I (as admin) am not logged on?

Many thanks for any help here.

GL

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1. No.
    2. It will fail.
    3. You can create script with option 'Run As' and specify Administrator log-in details, Then script will work even if another user is logged on and Administrator is logged off.
    Please note: you should use built-in Administrator account in Vista/Win7

3. Green Lantern

Thank you mechanical animal. That doesn't make Paragon a very good solution for backing up the family computer. I conducted a test run today of a differential backup and logged in as my daughter. Paragon ran wholly in the background. The only way I could determine it was running was by looking at the process in task manager. If it started while a family member was logged on they might shut down without knowing that a critical process was running in the background. As we don't let the pc run all day and night it's also not possible to say for sure if the machine will be "on" at the scheduled time. I wonder if there are any workarounds for this.

GL

4. Mech_An

Green Lantern,

You can schedule backup with following parameters:
    * Start at 'System Startup'
    * Set interval in days
    * Set user name and password
    Then task will start when any user will log on in specified day for backup.

Alternative way:
    You can have a look at Paragon System Backup (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/systembackup/).
    You can create following backup scheme:
    * Install it for all users (just mark 'Install for all users' during installation from Administrator account)
    * Create snapshot storage on external USB-drive or Backup Capsule on internal drive
    * In the Settings set how often you want to backup entire PC (note: it will backup all available disks) and how many recent snapshots to keep.
    Then task to backup will run when any user is logged on as often as you want.
    The small icon of System backup will be available for all users and System Backup Warning that one program is still running before shut down will appear. This Warning has 3 options:
    SysBackupOptions.jpg

5. Green Lantern

Thank you MA. This is VERY good information. I in fact did do a reinstall and made it available to all users. And I also set it to run every 7 days at log-on. The reason I didn't choose system start-up as you suggested is because Paragon warns you that if you do so there will be no pop-up window showing the task progress i.e. it is all invisible.

You suggest doing full snapshots of the drives. Wouldn't one full snapshot and the rest differentials be more economical spacewise?

I wasn't aware that Paragon warned when someone tries to power down the system. That is great to know.

Thank you again.

GL

6. Mech_An

Please note:
    1) Warning message appears only in Paragon System Backup.
    2) Process window will not be shown if task is running under another user even if it is scheduled on Log-on.
    3) System Backup creates one full snapshot of entire PC and then created incremental backups to save free space.
    Also you can create one full backup first in another Paragon program and manually schedule differential backups to save time and space. As there is no need to keep all differentials, you can uncheck 'Generate unique names' option and it will overwrite differential each time.

7. Green Lantern

Well Paragon is certainly not for the faint of heart. You seem to have done doctoral level research on it. Good to know about un-checking the "unique names" option. I guess there really is no good reason to have that unless your system becomes unstable at some point. Then you might be happy to have a few choices to restore to.

I'm not sure if there are vast differences between the various backup products. At the moment I'm using the free version, so I'm not sure if after a system backup the rest are automatically done as differentials. I did a full image backup without scheduling further backups. I scheduled weekly differentials. Are you saying that if I had just scheduled a system backup that the first would have been a full image and after that all differential? If so, I wish I'd known. Even better, I wish I'd known where to look for that information.

Thanks so much.

GL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.