scheduled updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by aluminex, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluminex

aluminex Registered Member

Is there a way in the policy of a client to say:

Do not update during hour a - b but check for updates every 60 min hours c - d?

We need to schedule our updates after hours and we don't want all 3,000 clients to try and update at the same time... staggering would be better.

2. aluminex

I have discovered that our clients are attempting to update after being rebooted even if they aren't scheduled to update... How is this possible?

3. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

I am not sure how it is possible. But I've noticed all my clients update on reboot also, regardless of the timing. Must be built into the kernel to check for an update on boot.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

It's actually quite simple. Advanced setup - Tools - Scheduler - Show system tasks. Then, go to scheduler. Voila :D

5. aluminex

I followed your instructions but I still don't see anything in my scheduler that would indicate an update on reboot.

6. piranha

piranha Registered Member

o_O :rolleyes:

update at startup or on reboot is almost the same, isnt it o_O

7. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello aluminex,

The program's hourly update schedule is based on when it was lasted rebooted. After initially trying to update after booting up, the hour starts then for that machine and stays on that hourly schedule until the machine is shut down.

As the machines on the network most likely weren't all started at the same time the update attempts are being staggered throughout each hour.

BFG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. aluminex

I don't have either enabled

9. aluminex

Okay I think you are misunderstanding.

I want it turned off... I don't need certain selected clients to update every hour. I want those particular clients to update when I tell them to update.

The rest of my clients can update on their randomly generated hourly schedule. I have removed said hourly schedule from certain clients but now those clients are still updating when I reboot them.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Automatic update can be disabled by unticking the two scheduled update task in Scheduler. There's no chance that update would be run with both tasks disabled. At any rate, I wouldn't recommend doing so as the purpose of automatic updates is to protect users against emerging threats and thus updates should be installed as soon as they are issued.

11. aluminex

#1 Should I provide screenshots? They are both unchecked and actually even set to deleted in my policy and are still updating on restart.

#2 This isn't a preference it is a business requirement for these specific clients.

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yes, please provide a screenshot.

13. aluminex

Here ya go

Attached Files:

14. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello aluminex,

The clients might be updating when you told them to. As you mention that the machines are "booting up" I'm assuming the task you scheduled wasn't run and the machines didn't update.

When that task isn't run you have to tell the program what to do about it. Either "Wait until the next scheduled time" or "Run the task as soon as possible"

Choosing the 2nd would make the client try to update at boot up. Was that chosen?

BFG

15. aluminex

The machines are always on unless there is an issue and they need to be rebooted.

I have my clients scheduled to update @ 2:15AM and if failed try again @ 3:15AM

16. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi aluminex,

Please include a screenshot of the window that shows the "if failed try again @ 3:15AM" instruction if you would.

BFG

17. aluminex

Sorry it's actually 2AM and 3AM.

I have more at 4AM and 5AM, 1AM and 2AM, etc... and they all have the same issue and they all check for an update on reboot regardless the time of day.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
  18. aluminex

As you can see I have even flagged the all other updates as delete in an attempt to remove any updates except my 2AM update.

19. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Thank you for the screenshot.

We'll try to reproduce your results but just a couple more questions.

On the clients themselves, do the tasks show as you expect them to in their Schedule/Planner window?

While at the client, does the Events log there show that the database updates by 2:05AM?

BFG

20. aluminex

Yes the clients show the expected schedule and yes they do update when scheduled. They also update when not scheduled which is the issue.

21. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

If you have a machine to test on. Try removing all "update" tasks and confirm if the machine checks in on reboot. I have suspicion that since you have an "update" task, it's tripping it to check in on reboot and also on the time schedule that you have setup (aka 2:15am).

22. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Although it wouldn't happen every time I booted back up, I can verify that this is true using v4.0. Update location didn't matter either. Both a mirror and ESET servers were the same.

BFG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.